HELP! Trying to move from Hackintosh back to a Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by huscat, Nov 21, 2009.

1. huscat macrumors member

OK, I have a Hackintosh Core 2 Quad 3.6 that runs great (it's for sale if anyone wants it cheap) and I just bought a Mac Pro 8 core 2.26 and upgraded it to dual 3.19 W5580's and put a couple of Intel 160GB G2 SSD's in it and striped them. It came with a 640GB SATA drive.

Here's what I can't figure out how to accomplish:

My Hackintosh has a 1TB drive in it. I stuck it in the Mac Pro and tried to use the Migration Assistant to transfer over my stuff but all it does is kernel panic the Mac Pro. I tried to reinstall 10.6 on the drive and that didn't work either. So my guess is the Chameleon hack must be causing the Mac Pro some problems.

Questions: How do I get all of my apps and settings and user data over to the Mac Pro? In the old days, you'd just delete the system folder...... :)

2. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I don't know if it would work, but I'd try using the discs that came with your new Mac Pro to install Mac OS X on the 1TB drive.

3. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

The other way of course would be to keep the drive in the hackintosh and migrate it with ethernet or firewire.

4. rtrt, Nov 21, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  5. lemonade-maker macrumors 6502

lemonade-maker

You should get rid of the custom extensions and make the boot.plist default. Also make sure both systems have the same version of OS.

I have had success by cloning the hack drive to a normal guid mac partition with no bootloader, replacing the extensions/boot.plist from a good working real mac drive and doing the restore.

6. dimme macrumors 65816

I would do a clean install of the apps and just copy over the data via eathernet.

7. huscat thread starter macrumors member

OK, if you would please explain to me in a more step by step fashion how to do this. This seems to make the most sense. Also, I can mount the hackintosh drive in my Mac Pro via SATA no problem. it's just that it won't boot the Mac Pro.

I don't know how to remove the Chameleon extensions or how to change the boot.plist. I know how to use CCC but not how to do the rest of the things you've suggested.

8. huscat thread starter macrumors member

By the way, the Migration Assistant does not work

as it appears to clone the things that keep the drive from booting the machine onto the target drive as well.

9. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Move everything over by hand. Reinstall all Apps and reconfig preferences, just move over files and stuff. It's a hassle but it'll work.

DO NOT move the ~/Library/ over or any Library over.

10. lemonade-maker macrumors 6502

lemonade-maker

I really don't think this is the best site for that. I know there are people more than willing and capable to do so on the sites dedicated to mac hacks. Try insanelymac.com, someone will walk you through it.

11. nano2nd macrumors newbie

I moved from a Hack to a Mac Pro recently using Migration Assistant.

I did a clean install onto a new blank HDD using the Snow Leopard DVD. Rather than booting off the disk, I actually created the new system disk from my Hack by pointing the Snow Leopard installer at the new blank HDD that I had mounted temporarily using a USB-to-SATA quickport adaptor. This mean less actual downtime as I could continue to use the Hack in the meantime for other work.

I then transferred the new HDD into the Mac Pro and booted it straight into Mac OS X. Then I put the old system disk from the Hack into the USB-to-SATA quickport adaptor and connected this via USB to the Mac Pro.

To ensure none of the Hackintosh tweaks made it over to the legit install, I used Migration Assistant to migrate ONLY USER ACCOUNTS. The apps I reinstalled on first use. One of the nice things is that many apps store licensense strings/credentials within your user account so you don't have to dig around for them again.