HELP: Trying to setup Windows XP/Vista/Leopard Wired LAN

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jack Flash, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Hey guys, I'm having a bit of trouble getting this to work. First, let me explain what I'm trying to do.

Objective: Play Warcraft III over LAN consisting of Windows XP/Vista Computers and Mac OS X 10.5 Computers

Equipment: Apple Airport Extreme Base Station 802.11n, Linksys BEFSR41, D-Link DI-524, Lots of Cat 5e Ethernet Cables

Software: 8 valid and unique installations of Warcraft III with valid CD-Keys.

I tried to daisy chain the routers but the computers were not able to see each other in the LAN. I figure I will need to buy an Ethernet Switch but still, I don't know what settings I need to establish.

2. mrock macrumors member

I suspect the problem is that the DHCP servers in the routers (handing out IPs) are all conflicting. Which router is connected to the Internet? Leave that one alone and then login to the management page on the other routers (may have to connect directly by cable to each one in turn) and disable the DHCP servers.

Then, just connect each one together using purely the LAN ports (ie. nothing should be plugged into the WAN ports on the non-Internet facing routers)

3. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

mrock is on the right track. You need to get all computers using one router for DHCP. The first router, connected to the internet, should have all services turned on. The Airport base should have "Distribute IP addresses" off, for example (I'm assuming it's connected via ethernet to the first router?).

4. Jack Flash thread starter macrumors 65816

Would it be easier to simply purchase an Ethernet switch?

5. mrock macrumors member

Probably would be easier, yes. As long as all the devices are in the same location or you already have cables running from there to everywhere else.

It should work fine with routers as long as you don't mind the hassle of disabling DHCP servers.

6. Jack Flash thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, even with the computers connected to just one router they still were unable to see eachother. What do you make of that?