HELP: Trying to understand processors, especially in light of video editing.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Reminisce32, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Reminisce32, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012

Reminisce32 macrumors regular

Reminisce32

Some specific questions I have are about processors are:

1) What's the difference between an i5 and i7 and quad core and dual core?

2) What's the difference between say a 2.3GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 and a 2.6GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

3) What aspect of importing, editing or producing a video is effected by the processor? The file formats I'm using are MPEG-2 TS Video (.TS), AVCHD Video (.M2TS), or MP4 Video(.MP4).

4) What is the minimum, average, or recommended type of processor (# of cores/# of GHz) to be able to smoothly edit 3-5GB HD videos in iMovie or FCP?

Thanks,

Reminisce32

2. TOMIMOT macrumors 6502

TOMIMOT

okay so to your first question:

Intel is the premier CPU manufacturer right now, and their current mainstream line-up is broken down into three sections within their "Core i" series. Here's the line-up:

The Core i3's (good and inexpensive-general use), the Core i5's (better- solid mainstream/gaming use- in the +/- $200 range), and the i7's (crazy awesome speed and power in the +/- $300 range- they can do anything you want and make toast). There are more than one CPU in each of the three "i" categories.

and to your second question:

the difference between a 2.3gHz and a 2.6gHz i7 is not much just that the 2.6 will be slightly faster and could probably over clock more

and to your third question:

Most of the video editing power and speed will come from your RAM, yes the CPU still has a role in video editing/producing but you have to make sure you have enough RAM as well. Also depends on what type of files your working with

and to your last question:

I work with adobe after effects and FCPX to edit videos and such, and my specs on my MBP are 2.0gHz quad core i7 and with recently upgraded to 8GB RAM(because AE eats up alot of RAM during rendering), and I squeeze by just fine. But it really depends on your work flow.

I hope I helped you better understand processors

3. Reminisce32 thread starter macrumors regular

Reminisce32

Thanks, that helps a lot. In regards to your comment on file types: I use a happauge PVR to record the footage I'm trying to edit from an xbox 360. It lets me save them in the MPEG-2 TS Video (.TS), AVCHD Video (.M2TS), or MP4 Video(.MP4) formats. Which of those do you recommend? I've tried all three and they are all similar as far as size per minute of footage. Is there something I'm not aware of as to decide which format is better to edit?

4. TOMIMOT macrumors 6502

TOMIMOT

It really is up to you what format you work with, I use MP4 format. To stray away from the processor question make sure you tweak your PVR to record clips in the quality your willing to work with. For example if you want HD footage instead of standard definition (720p/1080p) etc and the framerate. If you work with higher frame rates in your clips the processor starts to kick in and thats where processor speed really counts.