HELP! Trying to update firmware! And locked out of ADMIN

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nerd1990, May 4, 2012.

1. nerd1990 macrumors newbie

I have an old iMac G3 slot loading running on OS 9.2. I do not have the admin password or access. I am trying to update the firmware so I can update the OS however it was previously a school computer and is extremely locked down. I do have access to the general account but there's not much available on that. I have the firmware updates on CD. There is no open firmware password. When I try to enter the command terminal or single user mode - I cannot. I boot up holding :apple: + S but it just boots up like normal. How can I fix this? Either by getting into SUM or the command terminal or any other way of being allowed to update the firmware so I can install the new OS!! Thanks!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Single user mode doesn't exist in Mac OS 9.2. Try holding down shift at start to boot with extensions off. That might remove some restrictions.

3. nerd1990, May 4, 2012
    Last edited: May 4, 2012

nerd1990 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I wasn't sure. But I should be able to access the command terminal that way right? And I tried holding down shift, nothing happened. . .

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

OS 9.2 doesn't have a terminal because it isn't UNIX based. Press the power button and immediately hold the shift key until you see the Mac OS startup screen and it should say "Extensions off" or something like that.

5. nerd1990 thread starter macrumors newbie