Help; two computers 1 enternet cord (picture)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Trance, Jul 30, 2012.

  1. Trance macrumors 6502

    Feb 27, 2011
    here's my issue I have a wireless/wired cable modem in my mom's house the wireless connect is too weak because of the distance and i need the cable for my desktop.

    I live in a mini-house behind my mom's place.
    I passed a 50ft enternet cord in tubing underground to my place so I have a single enternet cable.

    I'm aware of internet sharing on my macbook pro I use it for my iphone and ipad but my gaming desktop is a PC :( (it doesn't support wifi btw)

    any idea how I could get both computers mac and pc online at the sametime?

    here's my setup to get an idea.
  2. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

    Apple fanboy

    Feb 21, 2012
    Behind the Lens, UK
    Use a splitter. You plug the Ethernet cable (in) and you can have multiple cable sockets coming out. Failing that why not get a wireless PC card and a airport extreme?
  3. Biff... macrumors 6502a


    Jun 16, 2010
    Sherman Oaks, CA.
    Have you considered using a switch and splitting your connections from it.
  4. blueroom macrumors 603


    Feb 15, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    If the cable modem is connected directly to moms computer you need a router. Telling us its model number would be helpful.

    Almost all modern routers have 1 WAN (modem) connector and 3-4 LAN (your computer(s)) connectors built in. They're commonly available.
  5. Trance thread starter macrumors 6502

    Feb 27, 2011
    didn't know splitters exist! what's the actual name, enternet splitter?
    also will this slow my net down any due to the splitter?
  6. Knoodles, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

    Knoodles macrumors 6502


    Feb 2, 2003
    Gone to the Beach
  7. clancemasterj macrumors regular


    Jan 31, 2007
    Somewhere outside of time.
    I love that fact that you made an illustration to explain the problem. :D
  8. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030


    Oct 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    No. A splitter is not what you want. To properly split the single wire coming from your parents' router to multiple machines at your home you need a switch. The cable from your parents' house needs to be plugged into the uplink port of a network switch at your house.

    A splitter will result in two devices attempting to use the same IP from the router if you try to use them at the same time. That would cause problems.

    Also, enternet is not a word. The word you're looking for is ethernet.
  9. Trance thread starter macrumors 6502

    Feb 27, 2011
    I would need a 'network switch'?
    thanks for the correction i was wondering why enternet kept showing up as incorrect ><
  10. Major.Robto macrumors 6502

    May 11, 2012
    buy a network router, and plug that in where your moms modeom is, give her a plug,

    then put a second router on your end,

    set your to acesspoint mode and use it as a wifi \ ports on the back
  11. samdev macrumors regular

    Sep 16, 2011
    You need an ethernet switch to share files between two PCs.
    But, you don't necessarily need a switch to share the Internet.

    If your mom's cable modem has both an ethernet and USB port, then no switch should be necessary.
    You can connect your ethernet cable directly to the cable modem, while your mom uses the cable modem's
    USB connection (or wireless).

    If you want to do both, share files and share the Internet, then you need a switch or router.
  12. Major.Robto macrumors 6502

    May 11, 2012
  13. rpg51 macrumors 6502


    Jul 4, 2012
    "Enternet" or "Ethernet"

    I assume you meant to say that you ran an Ethernet cable from your mother's modem to your house? Correct?

    Also, is the cable modem a combination modem/router? Make and model?
  14. Trance thread starter macrumors 6502

    Feb 27, 2011
    Sorry, The ethernet cable is plugged into a router in my mom's house I only have 1 ethernet cable coming to my place from the router.

    I can't move the modem or router it has to stay in my moms house because of the setup.

    Netgear N300 Wireless Router
    not sure about the modem, it's from cox.
  15. rpg51 macrumors 6502


    Jul 4, 2012
    If it was me I would connect the Ethernet cable in ur home to a 4 port Ethernet switch and then from that run an Ethernet cable to ur desktop and another Ethernet cable from switch to laptop. Another option is to run a Ethernet cable from the switch to a wireless access point which will give u wireless access in your home as well. Think of the switch like a splitter. Works very well and easy to set up.
  16. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

    Dark Dragoon

    Jul 28, 2006
    As your mom's house has a router, and you've run the cable from the router to your house, you wont need to touch anything in your mom's house.

    If you only need wired access for the computers in your house then you need to buy a switch, they are cheap and don't need any configuring (well the expensive managed ones do, but you don't need that). So something like a Netgear GS105. You just plug the ethernet cable from your mom's house into one port and then plug your computers and other devices into the other ethernet ports. If you want wireless access as well you could in addition buy a separate wireless access point.

    Or you could just buy yourself a Netgear N300 Wireless Router (WNR2000) or similar for your house, as that would have a built in switch and access point.
  17. BrianBaughn macrumors 603


    Feb 13, 2011
    Baltimore, Maryland
  18. Trance thread starter macrumors 6502

    Feb 27, 2011
  19. rpg51 macrumors 6502


    Jul 4, 2012

    and you don't need to have a "managed" network switch. Just an ordinary switch will do.

    As we have also explained - you could easily add a wireless access point in your home as well with this configuration and if you want to do that there are a couple of different ways to go about it - none of them very expensive. If you are considering that let us know and we will help. I mention it now because - you might want to buy a wireless router instead of a switch because a wireless router can serve the switch function and also provide wireless access as well. I will not be able to help you configure the wireless router - but others here can I am sure - or maybe the router manufacturer support will help for the initial set up - it is not difficult and they do it all the time. Make sense?

Share This Page