Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bezzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
the wife and I have both got apple watches and iPhones . They are all logged to one iCloud account. So the watches keep separate identities. I thought this was the case but now I’ve just had alerted that I’ve been swimming today... which was an activity done by the wife.

Is this possible or do I need a sepearate iCloud account for her... and does this cause a nightmare for us?

Cascades42

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2016
UK
You should each be using separate accounts and family sharing to share the things which should be shared. As it is you've got a nightmare now as your health data is being synced between your phones.

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
icloud is specific to one Apple ID. Family sharing should be utilized instead of sharing the iCloud.

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
Is it simple enough to do? Can we still share the contacts from phones?

It'll take some time since the person getting the new Apple ID will have to go through and put all their settings back again. I believe for addresses, you can export your address book and if your wife needs the same contacts, she could import your exported file.

Bezzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
ew don't you get each others iMessages too?

No we just select which address/tel number the phone uses for iMessages.

So will it be a case of a back up and restore with a new iCloud or can she just set up a new iCloud in its current state.

She won’t loose any pictures as they’ll be in the cloud, and the same for her emails I assume. I guess she will lose her iMessaea and will have to set everything up again.

Would they likely help with this in an Apple store or is ther no quick fix?

jwlbel

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
I just had the same problem with my spouse and my watch. We always shared the same icloud/apple ID account. I updated my phone and watch first and I noticed all of their workout info on my watch and phone. I even went for a walk by myself using the workout app. It showed that I walked 2 miles but I didn't get credit for any steps. Also, when they tried to update their watch it would not let them. So our phones and watches had to get an Apple ID divorce. It was a pain but there really wasn't much of a choice. We liked being able to share all our info. Even now that we have separate Apple ID's I still have all their old workout info on my phone.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
If you have no need for using iCloud for your health stats, why not just turn it off? I think of you both turn it off on your respective iPhones, then you won't get mixing issues.

But your really should consider separating your iCloud accounts. Less messy.

Midway123

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2017
I have the same problem. Main issue separating accounts and use family account is that all our pics don't automatically get shared in photo's...any solution for that?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I have the same problem. Main issue separating accounts and use family account is that all our pics don't automatically get shared in photo's...any solution for that?

You just have to use family sharing. It’s an extra step but works well

I'm not sure if this works, but looking at the settings in "Accounts & Passwords", it looks as if you can log into multiple iCloud accounts on a single device.

So perhaps you could have separate iCloud accounts for Contacts, Messages, Calendars, etc, but keep everyone on the same iCloud for Photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.