Help Ugrading jailbroken 3GS 3.2.1. to 4.0.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by 3G19101, Sep 3, 2010.

1. 3G19101 macrumors newbie

I have a 3GS running 3.2.1 that I jailbroke using blackra1n. I would like to upgrade to 4.0.1 to jailbreak with jailbreakme.com. I already did the make my life simple thing on Cydia a while back, which now says "This device has SHSHs on file for iPhone OS/iOS 3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2" I have a windows netbook. Is there an easy way to upgrade to 4.0.1 and then jailbreak and/or a foolproof step by step guide? I'm not that tech savvy. That's why I used blackra1n (1 or 2 clicks) and now want to use jailbreakme.com. I tried googling for this and searching the forum, but I didn't find anything useful. Any guides or links would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

As long as you have your SHSH for 4.0.1 stored with Cydia, you can easily upgrade to 4.0.1. Download the 4.0.1 ISPW from Modmyi.com, make the changes to your /etc/hosts file (if you haven't already done so), then restore to 4.0.1. All the specific instructions are easily available on this site or Google searches. Once you're at 4.0.1, go to jailbreakme.com on your iPhone and jailbreak. Doesn't get much easier. The only part that can be a little challenging might be the modification of your hosts file. It's a hidden file, so you have to unhide to find it. On a Mac, it's easiest to modify it through Terminal. There are Windows instructions as well.

3. 3G19101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I don't know how to change my /etc/hosts files (and don't have a clue what they are, how to change them, etc). I tried googling and searching in this forum ""change my /etc/hosts files"", to no avail. Any links, guides or better search terms? I tried downloading 4.0.1 IPSW file from the website and and it is giving the option to open with Itunes or Save the file. I'm guessing from your advice I should save it. But then what? I don't want to brick my phone or have to a factory restore and loose my jailbreak. Like I said, I'm not that tech savvy, so any specifics you can provide you be helpful. Sorry, if this is iPhone jailbreak 101.

4. 3G19101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Eldy. Did you get a bunch of errors when you tried to follow the steps you're recommending?

5. 3G19101 thread starter macrumors newbie