Help Ugrading Unlocked 3Gs on 3.1.2 to 4.0 Please

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by GizmoHD, Mar 11, 2011.

1. GizmoHD macrumors newbie

I Have An Unlocked/Jailbroken iPhone 3Gs on 3.1.2 and would Like to upgrade my firmware to 4.0 or higher but afraid I wont be able to Unlock it again. The Guides Are Pretty useful but I'd like something more to the pint and specific for my phone and firmware. What I know now is that i need to first upgrade to 4.0 or greater using a firmware from Pwnage Tool (I Don Not Have This) and then I need to Unlock with Ultrasnow from Cydia and I should be in the clear using My SimpleMobile sim right?

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You are on the right track. You need to use pwnage tool which only runs on a mac to create a custom firmware. The custom firmware you create will already be jailbroken but will not update your baseband which at 3.1.2 is probably 5.11 or 5.12.

You can use the existing verson of pwnage tool to go all the way up to 4.2.1 and still have an untether jailbreak and an unlockable phone.

There are good tutorials on iclarify but the things to watch out for is make sure when you shift restore you select the custom firmware you create and not the original and also that you put the phone in dfu mode correctly.

best of luck if you don't have a mac borrow one.

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Doesn't the OP also need their blobs for 4.x or am I mistaken?

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

did you save shsh blobs or use make it easy in Cydia if not you can't go any further. I not sure you can make it easier the Iclarified or youtube has a ton of videos. if it's still complicated I just wouldn't.

5. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

4.2.1 was still signing earlier today. If not he definitely needs blobs and hopefully since he is already jailbroken Cydia has been saving them for him.