Help: unable to get malfunctioning iPhone replaced

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skeen, Apr 19, 2008.

1. skeen macrumors 6502

Hi all

My iPhone has been malfunctioning for the past month or so, particularly the touch-screen receiving touch points at the wrong location, resulting in calls I didn't want to make, areas of the web page I didn't want to view, etc. etc.

Additionally, sometimes the screen will go blank when I try to unlock the phone, even resulting in a shutdown and restart occasionally.

These issues occur almost daily, but they don't happen enough for me to be able to replicate the issue without luck on my side. They happen at the worst of times.

So I took it into the Regents Street (London) Apple Store to get a replacement - I had an appointment with the Genius Bar. As I suspected, they were unable to replicate the issue, and therefore unable to replace it.

This leaves me in quite a predicament. I have an unreliable, malfunctioning iPhone, that doesn't malfunction quite enough for me to be able to replicate the issue!

I was told to go to the Apple site, depot.info.apple.com, but the issue I'm having wasn't even on the limited select box of options! I selected a random issue (AC adapter problem), and then couldn't even describe my issue clearly in the text box, due to a 250 character limit!

So I came up with an insufficient description, submitted it, only to discover I need a credit card!! I don't have one, nor do I want one, and I'm not getting one.

So here I am, with a malfunctioning iPhone that Apple will not replace! I've done everything I can to try and resolve this issue - reinstalled the firmware, restarted it, etc., but to no avail.

So what am I to do?

I'm a good Apple customer - I've spent a couple of thousand pounds there in the past couple of years, and yet right now I don't feel like Apple are on my side.

I require a replacement - do any of you have any tips? Or, are there any Apple employees here that might be able to help me? Thanks.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Call Apple customer service on the telephone, and escalate as necessary. Call your service provider too, and complain to them. It's not in their interest for you to have a non-functional phone that prevents you from using their expensive services. Explain to them that the issue is erratic but does occur on a daily basis, and tell them what you've already tried. Be patient if they make you try restoring it yet again. But keep pressing them for a fix.

3. skeen thread starter macrumors 6502

4. atluten macrumors 6502

I had the same exact problem with my iPhone and took it in to the Genius Bar, which they replaced even though they were unable to replicate it. So I would suggest that you can just keeping trying a different Genius (if you have the time and patience) until you get one who sympathizes with your case. Good luck.

5. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

I don't know if its the same in London, but in the US, well to me, I just called AppleCare, they sent me a box for a Mail-In Service Request and in 2 days a new replacement iPhone was waiting at my door. I helped my friend get a replacement iPhone too and it worked. Just say you tried everything and you've been restoring a lot and it still doesn't solve the problem. ;)

6. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Yep, try Applecare again to see if they'll offer to do a mail-in replacement, if not, try a genius bar in Brent Cross or Bluewater instead. I would also recommend that you try to film any problems, such as you say that it can happen when you unlock the screen, if at all possible, try filming yourself unlocking the screen every time until you catch it on camera, it will help as evidence I guess.

7. cherrybomb macrumors regular

cherrybomb

That's a good idea jamcon!!

8. skeen thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, well I called Applecare, and they said they would send out a box within a few days. They said that within 10 days after that, they would have mailed me a replacement or repair.

I do have 2 problems with this though: 1) I'll be going without an iPhone for however many days. They said I could go to O2 to get a temporary phone, but it won't be an iPhone. How am I going to manage my contacts, etc.? 2) If they couldn't replicate the issue in store, they may not be able to replicate it now. What happens in that case? I'm hoping they don't send the same phone back!

Thanks everyone for your help so far.

9. Chris Grande macrumors regular

Chris Grande

When I sent my iPhone in for repair (battery charging issue) they sent me an AppleCare Services phone (was laser etched in the back of the phone as such) that I could put my SIM card in and continue to use until I got my phone back. Actually when I did get my phone back (a new phone actually) it came in a separate box along with another box to send the AppleCare service phone back.