Help! Unable to open recovered files "corrupted"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bumpin, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Bumpin macrumors newbie

I accidently deleted a lot of files, (mostly jpeg images and .mov files) after partitioning my external hard drive. I found a file recovery software and used it, the files were recovered to my desktop however nearly all of them are unable to be opened. An error message appears saying: "Couldn’t open the file. It may be corrupt or a file format that Preview doesn’t recognize." <---(In preview) If anyone has any suggestions, it would be much appreciated.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not unusual. Recovering deleted files isn't a perfect process and many times the files recovered aren't completely intact.

3. Bumpin thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know of any way to repair the files so I can use them?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I think you're out of luck. The files are not complete, and therefore, unusable.

5. Bumpin thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually found a program that works! Virtual Lab seems to be able to repair/recover corrupted photos! This is awesome!

6. brainwave89 macrumors 6502

Bumpin, how well does it work with a Linux? I have a friend who installed Backtrack 5 over Lion on his MBP.
    He would love to recover anything.

Thanks.a

7. Bumpin thread starter macrumors newbie

I think they have only made a Windows and a Mac version also I realized the program basically goes through your hard drive and lets you view every picture you have ever seen or clicked on. So when I go to look at the pictures its a lot of thumbnails and random images from the internet, however it did find some of the deleted photos I needed. The only downside is to retrieve these photos you need to buy the program $40.

8. brainwave89 macrumors 6502

Bumpin, thanks for your response.

If anyone else has suggestions on how to recover any of my files I would love to hear about it.