Help understanding SSD S.M.A.R.T. status and attributes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by odinsride, Nov 17, 2013.

1. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I have an OWC SSD that I suspect is not in good shape based on what I see in the S.M.A.R.T. attributes. However, the overall status reports that it's "OK" or "Verified". The individual attributes report several "Fail" statuses, so I don't know what to do about this. Can someone take a look at the screenshots and help me make sense of it?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

3. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

No I didn't know about that - I will try it and check again, thanks!

4. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

Firmware updated but still the same results in SMART attributes. I guess the drive is toast :(

5. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

The attributes which are reported as "Failing" have no failure threshold and thus the status indicator really has no meaning. They simply record lifetime statistics of the drive during operation.

6. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

I have other drives that have no failure threshold with a status of "OK" on those attributes. While the drive technically still works, I ran a speed test on it and got abysmal numbers (worse than a mechanical drive). I think there is definitely something wrong with this SSD.

7. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

8. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

There is one thing you can do:

ATA-Secure Erase the drive and see if that restores the read/write performance. You will have to follow the instructions in this post (#3) as you will have to boot into a Linux Live session and use gparted to do it. This is different than the "Secure Erase" option supplied by Disk Utility, and will restore the drive to factory condition.

Sandforce-based drives employ real-time compression and data de-duplication to extend the life of the drive, but the effectiveness of this strategy depends on data being compressible.