Help understanding T-Mobile (USA) rate plans?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mkrishnan, Jul 26, 2007.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hi everyone, hope someone here has had experience with this... it's very difficult to get a straight answer from a CSR about this (I'm going to try anyway! :p ), but I have a few questions for any other T-Mo customers here?

I have a RAZR right now and I'm thinking about going back to a smartphone -- possibly either a used Blackberry or a Dash. I have some questions about data plans. Right now, this is what I have:

1000 min + night/wknd (no myfaves -- my phone is too old) = $39.95
    500 SMS = $4.99
    T-MobileWeb = $5.99

1) Is it true that you can add an internet data plan without incurring a new contract? Several people have suggested this is true. I know I can add/delete the T-MobileWeb whenever I want, but I am curious about the "real" data plans...

2) Does anyone use one plan with Blackberry and non-blackberry devices? Is there anything special about the Blackberry plan? T-Mobile has been advertising a $29.99 plan that includes unlimited data and hotspot access for new Dash users, and also $19.99 "for e-mail" to new Pearl users. Both of these plans sound like they're better than the standard Blackberry Data plan that provides unlimited data and 300 SMS (but no hot-spot access) for $29.99... So my questions are:

- Is a data plan for the Dash interchangeable with a Blackberry, or do you need a "Blackberry" plan?

- Anyone have any success asking for one of these plans without buying a new XXX? Like could I call them and say I want to buy a used Dash from a friend and then get the $29.99 plan?

Thank you! :)

2. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think I did get my answer from the CSR.... :eek:

- I can add / remove the plans without incurring a contract, any time I want

- I cannot interchange Blackberry and Dash plans (there's a $20/mo blackberry unlimited data plan, and a $30/mo Dash data + hotspot plan, but I can't get the data + hotspot plan with a blackberry).

- I do seem eligible for the data prices that are advertised for new customers (e.g. either the $20 or the $30 one above, if I get the appropriate phone).