HELP! Uninstall Snow Leopard with a new hard drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by joonez8, Jan 10, 2011.

1. joonez8 macrumors newbie

ok heres the issue, my HD crashed a few days ago so, i bought a new one and replaced it myself but theres an issue with snow leopard running now.. i can boot from the Snow Leopard disc and the Leopard disc to run Disk Utility, but it wont let me re install them!

i boot from Snow Leopard and my comp tells me it wont install because it needs 10.4(Tiger), ok, tried that. Tiger CANNOT be installed on this system as of now. i re formatted my new HD to MacJournaled, and still, NADA!

now im wondering if its possible to completely wipe out the remains of Snow Leopard from my logic board or where ever it continues to linger.. i want it out to re install Leopard fresh and brand new..

If anyone has any ideas i would greatly appreciate the help, ive been working on this for 5 days now!

2. mmulin macrumors 6502

Please tell us what computer you have and what the nature of your OS DVDs is? Are they official OS DVDs or restore DVDs (the ones delivered with a computer)?

3. belvdr macrumors 603

4. joonez8 thread starter macrumors newbie

hey Mmullin, im running a 13" Blackbook with 2gb rAM and im pretty positive its intel based.

the disc i have i borrowed from a friend.
    Snow Leopard disc-Retail.
    Leopard disc-Macbook version.

5. joonez8 thread starter macrumors newbie

re partioned to GUID?... thats what i was told to do..

6. mmulin macrumors 6502

Try this for a test:

1) Boot from SL DVD
    2) Run disk utility and delete the entire partition (just create one partition as free space)
    3) Reboot from SL DVD
    4) forget about formatting and let the installer just do its thing

Tell us in detail what is happening in step 4). Lets take it from there.

Btw, I forgot to mention before, there is no information on the logic board in regards to the OS installed.

7. joonez8 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok will do and report back.

but since this hard drive is brand new and has nothing on it, how does Snow Leopard still linger? i put the Tiger disc in and everything is still Leopard themed..

8. kdawg macrumors regular

kdawg

It sounds like you have an upgrade version of 10.6 and not a full version, which means you must install the version that came with your computer and then you will be able to install snow leopard.

I had a similar problem (Pre 10.6) When I was trying to do a clean install with 10.5. I was able to get around this by creating an image of the 10.5 DVD and then removing a check for upgrade package from the image then burning a new DVD. The process was tedious but it got me around not having my 10.4 DVD...

I'd say unless you can use that original install DVD and install then do an upgrade (You can select erase and install from the menu too) you are hosed.

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Step 3 is unnecessary. Once you erase the drive, there's no benefit from rebooting to the DVD again.

This is positively and absolutely not true. A simple search on here would reveal that. While the SL installer itself doesn't have the erase and install option, if you use Disk Utility to erase the HDD from the SL install disc, SL will still install. I've done this multiple times.

See above for why this is not true!

10. kdawg macrumors regular

kdawg

Have you ever installed from an upgrade DVD? I have the 10.6 upgrade DVD and it required an earlier version on the HDD in order to install... Once it verified you can erase the image, but not before it verifies a previous version exists.. Unless you have a full retail version and NOT and upgrade

11. simsaladimbamba

Do you mean the Upgrade DVD for 29 USD available in every store or a 9 USD version Apple send you after you ordered it due to having bought your Mac with Leopard on it but within an Apple give grace period where the purchase of SL was cheaper afterwards (like with Leopard)?

If it is the 29 USD version, then something is wrong with your DVD, if it is the 9 USD version, then yes, you need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the computer.

I had to do the same with Leopard, as I bought my iMac a week or two before Leopard was released and for 9 USD I could get a Leopard Upgrade DVD, which only works with a prior version of Mac OS X already installed on the Mac.
    Maybe Apple offered the same deal for SL and you took advantage of that?