Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jawzzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2007
New York
So I tested out MacLoJack and I couldn't figure out how to get the information it captures when I reported my MacBook Pro stolen. Plus, I would lke something with a little more (read: any) support. As a result, I've decided to "invest" in Undercover.

Now for uninstalling MacLoJack. I'm new to Macs and completely hopeless with the Terminal (I think its kind of like command prompt in Windows?).

Can anyone here give me click-by-click, dummy-proof instructions on how to do this?:

http://www.zdziarski.com/projects/maclojack/uninstall.txt

Help is needed and will be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much in advance!

jawzzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2007
New York
Anyone? My baby MBP has been freezing up a few times recently, and I think it might be this issue.

You can help out a newly addicted Machead, can't you?

jawzzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2007
New York
Wait, I have to do each line individually?

I tried it, but I'm not sure if it worked. Here is the text from what I did:

Last login: Tue Aug 21 14:53:26 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
john-wicks-computer:~ John$ sudo launchctl stop com.zdziarski.maclojack

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:
john-wicks-computer:~ John$ sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/maclojack.plist
john-wicks-computer:~ John$ sudo rm -f /Library/LaunchDaemons/maclojack.plist
john-wicks-computer:~ John$ sudo rm -f /usr/libexec/lojackd
john-wicks-computer:~ John$ sudo rm -f /var/log/maclojack.log
john-wicks-computer:~ John$ sudo rm -f /etc/maclojack.cfg
john-wicks-computer:~ John$ sudo rm -rf /Library/Receipts/MacLoJack.pkg
john-wicks-computer:~ John$
launchctl stop error: No such process
john-wicks-computer:~ John$ sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/maclojack.plist
nothing found to unload

Its really messy, I know, but did I do it right or completely mess it up?

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Open up terminal and type each line in, and pressing return. It will ask you for your Admin password (sudo stands for "super user do" and basically grants unrestricted access for the code to complete). It should only ask you for permission after the first command, after which the terminal session will remain authenticated for long enough that you can type everything else.

The first 2 lines tell the running MacLoJack processes to quit what they're doing. The rm -f commands tell the computer to remove the files and to override confirmation. The rm -rf command is used to delete the directory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rm_(Unix)

If you want to see if it worked, go to the /Library/LaunchDaemons/ folder and see if there's a file called maclojack.plist; /usr/libexec/ for a lojackd file; etc. You get the picture. :D

jawzzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2007
New York
Got it! Before even did it I did it I did not see any files in that LaunchDaemon folder. So I guess my first try might have erased it.

Heres what I saw when I did it this time:

Password:
Sorry, try again.
Password:
launchctl stop error: No such process
nothing found to unload

It didn't really give me any acknowledgment, but I guess I'll assume it worked. Could anyone finally clear this up? I'll be really happy if this is off my system. Thanks everyone!

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Wait a second. How do we know that this guy didn't steal a MacBook and now is trying to disable the security system so that he is free and clear? :)

Ninden

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2005
Rochester, New York
Wait a second. How do we know that this guy didn't steal a MacBook and now is trying to disable the security system so that he is free and clear? :)

Well, he would have to know the admin pass to use sudo. His log shows that he does. Granted that's not definitive proof, but it's a good start. Now if he had asked how to reset the admin password without knowing it... ;)

It didn't really give me any acknowledgment, but I guess I'll assume it worked. Could anyone finally clear this up? I'll be really happy if this is off my system. Thanks everyone!

rm commands do not give feedback on successful completion. You should be all set.

tico24

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Eastleigh, UK

My guess would be that if he doesn't know how to use terminal, then he's not gonna be the greatest of hackers (no offense OP!)

jawzzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2007
New York
Haha. I'm new to OS X (and NOT through theft :D), and so I'm really grateful for all the help! Hopefully the remnants are all gone, and I can get a better program like Undercover.

Is there any way I could make sure everything is gone? I hate having messy systems; that was for my Windows days.

keenkreations

macrumors regular
May 20, 2005
For future installs, you can use the program called AppTrap. That helps me a lot. For example, I delete an app from the application folder, then AppTrap will automatically ask me if I want to remove the associated library files. It's that easy. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.