Help Unlocking an Iphone 4 with baseband 4.10.01

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nawizo, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Nawizo macrumors member

Alright I would really love to use my iphone without a Gevey simcard. Is there anyone out there who can help me with a solution? why cant i unlock my phone in the first place? there must be a software unlock for my phone. How is my software locked in the first place. If i was to downgrade my phone to an unlockable baseband then upgrade it would that work? Help

2. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

The only way is the gevey sim
    You can't downgrade basebands.

3. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

i'm currently using a gevey sim (the newest one which requires jailbreak but you don't need to dial 112) in Europe and it works really well.

obviously i would have preferred a free solution, but at least there's something out there for the time being for this baseband.

4. iStoreGuy macrumors newbie

Not sure of what country your in, but if your in the UK all you need to do is contact the original service provider and ask them to unlock your phone.

Most of the time (for O2 & Vodafone) they send you to a webpage where you put in your details and then they send you instructions to your email of how to unlock.

Simple as that.

5. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Knowing which country you are in would help.

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

The baseband can't be unlocked because hackers haven't found an exploit yet. Your phone is locked because you bought it subsidized from a carrier. The lock keeps you from ditching that carrier before your contract is up. You cannot downgrade your baseband. You got yourself a locked phone, use the Gevey or deal with it. Gevey isn't that bad.

How is that relevant? The unlocking situation is the same everywhere.

7. dave006 Contributor

dave006

No, in some markets you are able to request the carrier unlock the phone after you meet your minimum commitment or pay a fee. The carrier provides the IMEI of your phone to Apple and it is then unlocked for the life of the device and any direct replacements.

This unlocking options vary by market and it not always related to the baseband hacks. Some countries require carriers to unlock your phone if you meet specific requirements.

Dave

8. Nawizo thread starter macrumors member

Well I am from Zambia in Central Africa
    I had a friend of mine buy the phone for me during his visit to the states. He bought it from an AT&T store for the full price and not on contract.

9. Nawizo thread starter macrumors member

It is unfortunate the if you want to buy an iphone in the US you have to get it from and AT&T store or a verizon store. The UK option of getting it sim-free is better. I was also perplexed that AT&T could not unlock my phone when I payed a full price for it (about $720 after tax)

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

just the way it is with AT&T they are among the most difficult if not the most difficult carrier to work with. Apple did just start selling Factory unlocked phones in the US not that's going to help you. selling yours or getting the grevy sim is the only option. btw it looks like grevy will not work on 5.0 up IOS at least not the current sim.

11. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Yes, I know all about unlocking and this policy. I simply had a blank moment and assumed the OP was from the USA, hereby ruling out that option. :D

Depending on when it was purchased, your friend could have bought one unlocked from an Apple store for the same price.

You can actually walk into any Apple store in the USA now and purchase one unlocked/SIM-free now that the AT&T exclusivity contract is up.