Help Unlocking iPhone 4 and 3GS

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dt408sc02, Dec 18, 2010.

1. dt408sc02 macrumors newbie

I am running Win7 x64. I would like to update both phones to 4.2.1 and jailbreak. Should I keep them at the present baseband to keep them unlockable in the future?

1. How do I jailbreak my iPhone 3GS while preserving baseband? It is currently jailbroken at 3.1.2 with modem firmware 5.11.07. Do I save SHSH using TinyUmbrella, shift restore using 4.2.1 firmware, then run redsn0w?

2. How do I jailbreak my iPhone 4 while preserving baseband? It is currently jailbroken at 4.0.1 with modem firmware 1.59.00. Do I just use TinyUmbrella + limera1n? If so, do I need a custom firmware or just the stock 4.2.1 from felixbruns?

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

look around Iclarified all the tutorials there you can also find your answers using search on the site as well as google. tons have asked this before you. Sorry really hard to hold the hand of every new person jb. imo don't jb till you have a personal idea of what your doing. no way of knowing if anybody has more or less knowledge then you. good luck.

3. dt408sc02 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've already looked through the iClarified tutorials, and I've jailbroken my iPhone multiple times before, so I'm not a new person. The questions are just to confirm if my procedures are correct for the new firmware.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

you can't do what you wanna do sorry

they haven't found a way to keep those basebands yet with 4.2.1 there are people saying you can keep 1.59.000 but nobody has posted a reliable source such as comex or Musclenerd etc 3gs only mentions and everything I have seen you can't keep 5.11.07 baseband on the 3gs and 4.2.1 but i don't fallow that close since I only have a i4 now. I recommend waiting on both good things are just days away. :D

5. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

My iPhone 3GS is on 4.2.1 with 5.13.04 and is unlocked. Mine is an old bootrom phone however. You use pwnagetool to make the custom firmware and restore with it, then redsnow to jailbreak and ultrasnow to unlock.

6. Alag28 macrumors 6502

how exactly can i do this? i have an 3gs on 4.1 stock and i want to update it to 4.2 and unlock it?

7. dt408sc02 thread starter macrumors newbie

Pwnagetool is Mac. I'm running Win7.

8. dt408sc02 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for the info.

Should I go ahead and proceed with those directions, or should I wait until next week per labman's suggestion to see if a more reliable method is released?

9. dt408sc02 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is the best method for my 3GS jb still rgarjr's post above? Should I use that method for my iPhone 4 as well?

Any links or suggestions are appreciated. I plan to jailbreak both phones tomorrow or the day after.