Help Unlocking iPhone 4S OS5.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by feleciadenise, Mar 11, 2012.

1. feleciadenise macrumors newbie

I understand there may be plenty of threads on this so please forgive me...

I am in desperate need of unlocking my AT&T iPhone 4S. I am moving to Bahrain and I want to be able to use it over there with a sim card. The only reputable site I found is this http://www.jailbreakunlock.org/public/unlock-iphone-4s-now-available/...
    however it says that I already have to have a sim card plus and there are 3 different payment options depending on which one you think you need.

My questions are does anyone have any other recommendations? Should I wait til I get over there and unlock it? I've noticed the other thread posting pictures of home screens of phones that have been jailbroken and i like them. I love :apple: products but the lack of customization is killing me. Any assistance is greatly appreciated..and thanks in advance.

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

sell it buy another when you move or sell it and buy a unlocked here that is your best option. there is no unlock for 5.1 right now. another carrier can not unlock it so you can't take it overseas and ATT will not unlock it or allow it.. we all hope that will change. there were unlock sims such as you posted but none of them work on the newest update to my knowledge.

3. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

That link says it's only for 5.0 or 5.0.1, not 5.1. There isn't even an untehtered JB for 5.1 yet, althoug there is a tethered JB for non 4S/iPad 2 devices.

So you won't be able to jailbreak your 4S if it is on 5.1 until the devs release it, which according to some people on this forum, won't be for a few months.

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You shouldn't have updated to 5.1. You screwed yourself.

5. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

6. feleciadenise thread starter macrumors newbie

I figured as much...looks like I'll be posting on craigslist soon.

7. saud0488 macrumors 6502

Is it for AT&T? Go to your nearest apple store, tell them whatever is wrong with it and they'll replace with one that can likely be unlocked with the new gevey. Problem solved.

8. feleciadenise thread starter macrumors newbie

It is for AT&T...What do you mean they may replace it one that can be unlocked with the new gevey? I saw their unlocked phones advertised at $649 for a 16gb...Thanks for your response.

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

he is trying to tell you to lie to Apple try to trick them into give you a referb which might be on 5.0.1 and you can use the Gevey if you don't update it. I think it's better to sell yours on Craigs and buy a factory unlocked or wait till you get to Bahrain. Check your rates and prices there to see what the better deal is. if you are going to travel buy the factory unlocked worry free you won't regret it.

10. heyyitzmelissa macrumors 6502

There's no unlock but TC thinks just because he needs to go out of country one will be magically available. You can roam, it's a world phone.

11. bosco2012 macrumors member

There is no gevey sim cards for iPhone 4S OS5.1, They are Just for OS5.0.1 or 5.0, you should not upgrade it...

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

he already knows that! ;)

13. saud0488 macrumors 6502

Well you certainly won't get a factory unlocked one but you will get on that can be unlocked by Gevey. Apple's inaptly named "Geniuses" are like machines, they have a checklist of things they do to service your phone. They don't really ever repair it, unless it's minor such as a vibrate motor.

Instead they hand you a brand new phone or a refurb no matter what the problem is, whether or not they can replicate it. At this point, you'll definitely be getting one that's not on 5.1. Therefore you'll be able to unlock with the new Gevey. Or you can get the cutyoursim factory unlocking service for your current phone. Your call.

Disclaimer: Don't do this if you're never been dishonest in your life and if your moral convictions bar you from telling a white lie that will harm no one.

----------

Oh and definitely buy it here, if you're going to opt for a factory unlocked one. The prices in the GCC countries for iPhones are insane. A lot higher than here. Blackberries are marked up a greater %.

14. feleciadenise thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a million. I'll be on my way to the Apple store tomorrow. If some reason they don't give me a refurb then I'll sell it on Craigslist. I didn't pay much for it and I'm sure I can sell it as fast as I sold my iPhone 4...at a profit.;):D

15. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

So telling a lie to get a new phone due to owner error is acceptable because you rationalize that it doesn't hurt anyone. Sad !

16. Alexanderjohn macrumors newbie

Hello,
    How can any one say , update version 5.1 is secure?
    any video about it ?

17. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

Yeah, I went to get my phone "serviced" because of the battery issues I was having. I wiped it and just mentioned I did it to troubleshoot, which was partly true and they swapped it out with a brand new one no questions asked.

18. saud0488 macrumors 6502

I didn't realize I was in the company of those that have never told a single lie before in their entire life in this forum. Please, it really isn't hurting anyone. Move along.

----------

Yeah, little known secret i guess. They run a diagnostics test, which is actually pretty cool cause it displays everything about your phone including call times, dropped calls, if the phone has overheated, battery performance, etc. If you do a restore as new, none of these will show as this wipes all of the diagnostic data as well.

Before anyone else tries to bash me for "lying" (since none of you have), you should know that I've had two genius bar members at two apple store suggest to me that you should bring your iPhone in around the warranty expiration date so that they can hand you a new one. I'm not sure if this adds three months to the warranty but on my old 3gs it did. But we had applecare on that so who knows. Anyways, they usually say something like "Oh man, it's so close to the warranty expiration so let's get you a new one."

19. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

Yeah they are pretty good about helping out their customers.