Help (Updated question) - How to connect Mac Mini to Cable TV & record to DVD

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by cjspitzer, May 29, 2009.

1. cjspitzer macrumors newbie

I would like to move from my current set top equipment to to a Mac Mini with DVR and "burn to disk" capabilities for TV shows and old movies. Currently I was a dedicated Pioneer DVR/DVD recorder but it's getting old and they don't sell them in the U.S. any more. I'm a newbie to this Home Theater with iMac subject, but experienced with computers and software.

So if anybody can help I would appreciate it. This is what I want to do:
    ====
    Hook up the Mac Mini to receive signals from my cable's output. Right now the Pioneer is connected to the s-video port and red/white rca sound jacks.

Record (with a timer) programs current playing on the cable box. I understand that I can't control the channel selection through the iMac.

Edit the recorded shows to remove commercials / junk.

Record shows/movies to DVD that can play on any DVD player.
    ====

That is the capability of my Pioneer stand-alone box right now. I have a new Plasma TV with s-video, composite (three color), HDMI, and VGA connections.

Also, has anyone ever used the Hauppauge HD PVR with EyeTV 3 software on a Mac?

thank you in advance,

Chris

2. spice weasel macrumors 65816

You'll need a TV tuner. Check out Elgato's offerings (the EyeTV series). I have no experience with any of them, but they are the standard for TV/DVR functionality on your Mac. I think Miglia also makes a few.

3. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

4. cjspitzer thread starter macrumors newbie

Need digital connection to cable box

I've look at that product, and it only offers a coax connection. I would like to record digital output from my cable box which comes through either an s-video connection, a composite connection, or a HDMI connection. Plus I was wondering what you use to edit recorded content and burn it to DVD.

Chris

5. youngmufan4 macrumors newbie

Comes with breakout cable for composite, S-Video & audio connections

6. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

Also comes with basic software to edit out commercials, etc, and you should have iDvd via iLife if you have a Mac.

7. cjspitzer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, another question

Thanks for the info. I have another question:

Has anyone ever used the Hauppauge HD PVR with EyeTV 3 software on a Mac?

8. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

You aren't going to want to use iDVD (EyeTV records in MPEG2 format, and a year ago iMovie wouldn't do chapters and a variety of things and it was WAYYYY slower than just using the EyeTV editing stuff. It's been a year & 800 DVDs since i crossed it off my "useable" list - so i can't totally remember why).

EyeTV will come with Toast Basic.... which has issues if you want to put more than one file/show on the disk.

I picked up a copy of a prior version of Toast loads cheaper than the current one. It lets me put as many shows on there as I want.