Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Klayre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
Hi guys,

So I bought an iPhone last year on eBay. It is jailbroken and unlocked using a Gevey sim.
When I first got it I tried to update it on iTunes, but it completely locked. I sent it back to the seller who fixed it and advised me not to update again.

But now I really want to update it, as my software is way out of date. I think it may be iOS 4..? I decided to get it unlocked via IMEI online, so I gave the company my IMEI and they later sent me insructions to unlock my phone, which I followed, but they did not work. I emailed them but they have not gotten back to me.

So today I was talking to a man who is iPhone savvy. He told me the unlock isn't working because I need to update to iOS 6. But that's my predicament, how can I update in iTunes without getting locked out again?!

Do you think the update might work this time if the IMEI lock has been succesful?

Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!

**EDIT** - Sorry forgot to mention, I want to stop using the Gevey SIM altogether and just have an unlocked phone that I can update

Last edited:

xentelworker

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2012
Hi guys,

So I bought an iPhone last year on eBay. It is jailbroken and unlocked using a Gevey sim.
When I first got it I tried to update it on iTunes, but it completely locked. I sent it back to the seller who fixed it and advised me not to update again.

But now I really want to update it, as my software is way out of date. I think it may be iOS 4..? I decided to get it unlocked via IMEI online, so I gave the company my IMEI and they later sent me insructions to unlock my phone, which I followed, but they did not work. I emailed them but they have not gotten back to me.

So today I was talking to a man who is iPhone savvy. He told me the unlock isn't working because I need to update to iOS 6. But that's my predicament, how can I update in iTunes without getting locked out again?!

Do you think the update might work this time if the IMEI lock has been succesful?

Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!

So i'm not totally versed with IMEI unlock, but GEVEY SIM for iPhone 4 is dependent on the baseband version. At this point, you cannot goto iOS6 with GEVEY because they have not tested for iOS6 yet.

iOS6 update is a 1 way street. If you go to iOS6 stock firmware and your unlock still dosen't work, than you will need to revisit your unlocking resource to find out why.

As for going to iOS6 for the unlock to work? I'm still unclear on why that would dependent on a IMEI unlock? Maybe someone can fill that gap in?

For now, do not upgrade. Stay put until you get final confirmation.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Yes. You have to do a restore for the unlock to work.

You don't need to restore to activate the unlock if you are jailbroken, install SAM from repo.bingner.com in cydia.

Decativate phone in SAM and close SAM in switcher, now connect to itunes and the unlock will be issued.

Klayre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
Hi guys,

Sorry forgot to mention I want to stop using my Gevey SIM altogether which is why I purchased the unlock. Also, my phone would not restore for me, it kept saying there was a problem and it couldn't restore. I tried restoring in DFU mode but that didn't work either. I went to an iPhone unlocking shop today who told me they would update the phone which would give me my unlock but I was nervous as last time I updated it via iTunes it locked, as I mentioned before.

Very confused over the whole thing, all I want is to not be dependent on the Gevey SIM and to be able to update my iPhone!!

----------

You don't need to restore to activate the unlock if you are jailbroken, install SAM from repo.bingner.com in cydia.

Decativate phone in SAM and close SAM in switcher, now connect to itunes and the unlock will be issued.

Once I do this and update my iPhone, it won't lock? Also, will I then be able to use the phone without the Gevey SIM?

Klayre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
if it was unlocked then yes the Gevey sim is no longer needed to put it simply you have a factory unlocked phone. ;)

My only problem is that when I previously updated my iPhone in iTunes, it locked me out, I'm assuming because it's jailbroken and unlocked with Gevey. So I'm just wondering if it will lock me out again if I update, or will the unlock just kick in? And I assume I should update without the Gevey sim?

Sorry, I know it's all very confusing :confused:

j1o6sh

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
GU
Try removing your Gevey sim interposer and put a sim card on a different carrier and see if it works also to see if the IMEI unlock was successfully processed. You should confirm that before updating to iOS 6 or there's a chance that you'll lose your current Gevey unlock.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
My only problem is that when I previously updated my iPhone in iTunes, it locked me out, I'm assuming because it's jailbroken and unlocked with Gevey. So I'm just wondering if it will lock me out again if I update, or will the unlock just kick in? And I assume I should update without the Gevey sim?

Sorry, I know it's all very confusing :confused:

No it won't lock again as it is now permanently unlocked. Just take the SAM route. Your phone is still "attached" to the old locked status, using SAM will free it up and you can "attach" the permanent unlock.

The restore is for non-jailbroken iphone, its the only way on a non-JB phone to break the current locked status.

As you are JB-en you have the SAM option.

Try removing your Gevey sim interposer and put a sim card on a different carrier and see if it works also to see if the IMEI unlock was successfully processed. You should confirm that before updating to iOS 6 or there's a chance that you'll lose your current Gevey unlock.

That won't work, the locked status only removes through deactivating the phone, either by SAM or by restore.

Klayre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
No it won't lock again as it is now permanently unlocked. Just take the SAM route. Your phone is still "attached" to the old locked status, using SAM will free it up and you can "attach" the permanent unlock.

The restore is for non-jailbroken iphone, its the only way on a non-JB phone to break the current locked status.

As you are JB-en you have the SAM option.

That won't work, the locked status only removes through deactivating the phone, either by SAM or by restore.

Ok, so by using SAM as you've said, I should be able to detatch from using Gevey? Should I use SAM with the Gevey sim in the phone? Will I lose any data?

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.