Help updating my jailbroken and unlocked 3g...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jrm27, Nov 2, 2010.

1. jrm27 macrumors 6502

Hi all,

Last July I retired my iphone 3g from phone duty when I picked up the 4. So, I figured that I would jailbreak it and unlock it so I could use it abroad with pre-paid SIM cards. So I jailbroke it and unlocked it using ultrasnow. I've been using it for music, movies, apps, and the occassional trip overseas. At the time 4.0 was the latest ios, but it is really starting to frustrate me now. it is soooo laggy and just doesnt run well on the 3g. I thought I remember reading that the latest ios (4.1) runs much better on the 3g.

So.. how would I go about upgrading to 4.1 while still keeping my jailbreak and my unlock? Is that possible? Thanks!

-jon

2. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Pwnagetool => custom firmware (keeping baseband), and then, ultrasnow to unlock.

3. jrm27 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! That sounds pretty straight forward. Do I need to back anything up first, or use something like tinyubrella? or does pwnagetool create the custom firmware needed?

4. iphoneblogr macrumors member

Yes, run a default iTunes backup and if you dont want to lose your AppStore app settings and gamesaves you're gonna wanna run AppBackup as well. You don't need TinyUmbrella, just run PwnageTool and follow the instructions. If you don't have a Mac you can follow this post to download and install a pre-jailbroken firmware file:

Pre-Jailbroken 4.1 firmware files + tutorial