HELP Updating my jailbroken iphone!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Dana1393, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Dana1393 macrumors newbie

Hi! I have a jailbroken 3g iPhone on 2.2. I have downloaded songs and want to transfer them onto my iphone but I'm confused. Whenever I update my iphone, I have to back it up so if I update it right now and back it up, will it erase the backup of my iPhone before I jailbroke it? I don't want to lose my pictures or anything in the future if I have to restore it, like unjailbreak it.

& Is it possible to save the pictures and notes on my current iPhone right now but not save the jailbreaking part? Like say, if i were going to restore my phone, can it still have the pictures I took while my phone was jailbroken?

2. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

3. Dana1393 thread starter macrumors newbie

but if I do that, wouldn't it overwrite the backup I had made before I jailbroke my phone? And if I wanted to restore my phone later on, how would this all work ? Sorry I'm confused and I'm new to this!

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Back-Ups only keep notes, SMSs and stuff like that, not your firmware.

5. Dana1393 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well so what you're saying is I can update my iPhone with songs, etc. And back it up right? But what will happen when I restore my iPhone to that back up? It will erase the jailbreaking part like cydia right? Will my iPhone still have those pictures I took from when my phone WAS jailbroken?

6. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

itunes doesn't bother with your jailbroken state, unless you have to restore

7. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Okay, to update to 2.2.1, and keep all of your stuff do this-

Create a back up right now
    Update to 2.2.1
    Jailbreak again
    Restore from that back-up.
    Done.