Help! Updating USB ports?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Macman10, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Macman10 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have an old iMac (800Mhz) and a new iPod Touch. The former has only USB 1.1 ports and the latter only works with USB 2.0. So I cannot get the two to talk to each other.

I don't really want to buy a whole new desktop so I'm looking for a workaround. Can anyone recommend a third-party adapter that would convert the USB 1.1 port on my iMac to a USB 2.0? Or any other solution that doesn't involve buying a new computer?

Many thanks!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You cannot convert a USB 1.1 port to a USB 2.0 port.

3. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

According to the following sites the iPod will work with USB 1.1, but the transfer speeds will be very slow. I used an 80GB iPod with a USB 1.1 port myself and aside from a warning that popped up telling you it was meant for USb 2.0, it worked fine. Just took a much longer time to synch with iTunes.

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=6185037

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/faqs/answers/does-the-ipod-work-with-usb-11/

4. Macman10 thread starter macrumors newbie

progress

Thanks Bud. I read through those links and it seems there are a few tricks to get it to work with USB 1.1. I'll try them when I get home. But your second link talked about USB 2.0 cards - do such things exist for an older iMac I wonder?

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

iMacs don't have any expansion slots to plug cards into :(

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I don't know if such a product exists, but the ONLY way you could get USB 2.0 speeds out of an old iMac like that is if there's a firewire to USB 2.0 adapter type object. Again, I have no idea if such a beast exists.

7. Macman10 thread starter macrumors newbie

upgrade or die?

Thanks again guys. I'm going to try the suggestion in those links. If that fails then I may have to upgrade to a new Mac. Been looking for an excuse anyway but would rather wait...

8. Macman10 thread starter macrumors newbie

still no good

No joy. Tried all the tricks mentioned in that links above (including switching off the iPod Touch's Wifi) but still nothing. My iMac doesn't recognize the Touch through the USB 1.1 slot. It powers it up but no recognition to sync at all.

Any other suggestions?!?

Thanks.

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

New Mac/Computer.

You're never going to get any further than you have.

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Long shot: are you running the required version of OSX/iTunes?

11. Macman10 thread starter macrumors newbie

yup

Yes, I'm running the lastest versions of iTunes and OS X.

So is that the end of the road for me on this one? Seems weird because so many other people seem to be managing at least to get a slow connection going via the USB 1.1 port.