Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jessdla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
Hello!! I have a 3gs (3.1.3 / 05.12.01) with jailbreak and unlock.
I wish to upgrade to 4.1 but my cydia says I have SHSH IOS 4.2.1.

This means I can`t go for 4.1 on pwnagetool? I have to go to 4.2.1??

My issue is that I really need the unlock part, so I don`t know if you recommend me to upgrade to 4.2.1 or if you know a way to upgrade and still get the unlock.. (should I make a custom firmware on pwnagetool for 4.2.1?)

I have a general idea but I really don't know what to do, if someone can help me with the steps or guide to accomplish the upgrade, jb and unlock I will REALLY appreciate it!!!

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
Note, on 4.2.1 with 3GS, old bootrom (untethered) vs new bootrom (tethered) JB. Create or find custom 4.2.1 firmware file (one that keeps your current baseband), use pwnagetool or Redsnow to put the phone into a special DFU mode, and then, restore with the custom firmware file through itunes.

Olatsita

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2011
Same problem ;)

Same problem exactly here but i dont understand anything of what you guys r talking about!

Just got in to the iphone world and trying to learn stuff!

I just know that i have an iphone 3gs 32Gb unlocked and jailbroken.

ios is 3.1.3 and i just want to upgrade to 4.anything keeping it unlocked, jailbroken + my apps and stuff!

I think the previews owner told me to avoid 4.2.1 because the phone will lock or something! Any advice please?

Is it much for me to ask? :D :D

Excuse my Newbiety! ;)

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
If you want to keep your baseband the only way to do so is with custom firmware. I would recommend going to 4.1 with pwnage tool but it appears from your post that you do not have SHSH for 4.1 which means you cannot do so.

I would not recommemd trying to get to 4.2.1 for a novice and if you have the new bootrom 3GS it will be tethered. Suggest you wait for a while. There is every likelihood that we will see an untether jailbreak released after 4.3 is official. At this point we would probably also see a new version of pwnage tool which incorporates this exploit.

Olatsita

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2011
Thanx!

Thanx for the reply! ;) i think i'm gonna find me someone who understand what
baseband and SHSH actually is! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.