HELP!!! Upgrade iPhone 4S to 5.1 without updating Baseband... Possible???

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by yehudah72, Apr 10, 2012.

1. yehudah72 macrumors regular

yehudah72

Please help me figure out if i can update my iPhone 4S to latest 5.1 WITHOUT updating the Baseband

i still have int with: FW 5.0 (9A334) and BB 1.0.11

i don't check Macrumors forums as much as i used to... so if you can, please email me at: yehudah72 at yahoo.com

Thank you,
    :D

2. terraphantm macrumors 68040

3. yehudah72 thread starter macrumors regular

yehudah72

thanx

any idea when?

what's the highest FW update that can be done without BB update???

4. terraphantm macrumors 68040

You can't update the 4S without baseband update period. Won't be possible until we have a bootrom or iboot exploit available

5. yehudah72 thread starter macrumors regular

yehudah72

thanx again :)

i'm not in any hurry... i just like to keep my BB as "original version" so when the newest version of iPhone comes out i can sell mine for most possible $$$

i have upgraded through all generations and really looking forward to iPhone 5S... yes, i did say 5S; because for some stupid reason (or just more $$$), Apple leaves the goodies for the "S" versions more than the "just numbered" versions of iPhone.

(of course, i'll still upgrade to iPhone 5 when it comes out... then iPhone 5S, the iPhone 6, iPhone 6S, or 7, 7x, 9z... what ever versions they come up with...... LOL!!!

6. terraphantm macrumors 68040

If you're an AT&T customer you might as well just have them unlock it right after you upgrade. That'll have a better resale value than a phone with the original baseband. Doesn't look like ultrasn0w for the 4S will come out any time soon... if ever.

7. yehudah72 thread starter macrumors regular

yehudah72

houston... might have a problem with that

i see what you are saying, but the wording in that option from AT&T seems that it is for iPhones Accounts that are out of contract, but still active.

in other words, when i upgrade to iPhone 5 (for example), my iPhone 4S will no longer be on an active account... therefore, they may not give unlock code.

Kind of like T-Mobile's reason for why they give customers unlock codes (i used to have T-Mobile over 5 years ago for my business account & AT&T for personal). They would give you the unlock code on ACTIVE Phones currently being USED on your account for the ONLY reason of traveling abroad. Not so you could cancel account or resell the phone.... i sued to get them for my Palm Treo(s) and Blackberry(s).

With this in mind, if you "remove" the IMEI number from the account as your active phone, AT&T may not give you the unlock code..... but to tell you the truth, I HAVE NOT READ the details from AT&T.

The other great thing about Customer Service Reps.... if one doesn't give it up, keep calling back until you get a really "nice" one willing to do anything.... that's how i get "courtesy" credits ($$$) to my Account all the time.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, their rule is they will unlock it as long as the particular iphone is not under contract.
    When you sign a contract for the new iphone 5 for example your old 4S is off contract and will be free to be unlocked.
    It doesnt have to be on an active account.
    I just did this earlier today.
    Im on contract with my 4S and got my old iphone 4 unlocked and it wasnt on any account, it was just sitting collecting dust.

9. yehudah72, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012

yehudah72 thread starter macrumors regular

yehudah72

Awesome

That means i can borrow someone's (friend's) old iPhone 4 and put on my account for a day and get my new iPhone 4S unlocked... then put the 4S back on the account... Yey!!!
    (or even use a "regular" cell ph that i have stored away for emergencies)

i read here:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2012/04/09/att-iphone-unlocking-process-detailed-successful-for-some/
    that you unlock it via iTunes... is that correct???
    or
    how did you unlock it???
    :D

10. terraphantm macrumors 68040

If you upgrade, your 4S' contract will effectively be terminated and it should be unlockable. Switching phones will have zero effect.

With that said, I did manage to get my on-contract 4S unlocked, but that was more luck than anything else.