iPad Help - upgrade plus jailbreak from iOS7 to iOS8?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by soapytwist, Apr 9, 2015.

1. soapytwist macrumors newbie

I've just bought a brand new iPad that's at version 7.1.2 out of the box. It seems that there's no current way to upgrade this to any version of iOS8 (I'm trying 8.1.2 but any version would do) except for the current one (8.3 now, that isn't jailbreakable).
    Am I stuck with what I have unless 8.3 gets broken, or unless I accept not having a jailbreak? I've tried downgrading iTunes, trying to get the iPad into pwned DFU mode but with no success. Any ideas?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You cannot update to any version of iOS that Apple is not signing.

What this means is that if you want to update, it's 8.3 (as of now) and that's it.

So your options are: Jailbreak 7.1.2 and wait until an 8.3 jailbreak is released or upgrade and stay stock on 8.3 while waiting for the 8.3 jailbreak.

There are no tricks to get what you desire. If there were, people like me would be all over it.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not possible.
    Your only option is stay where you are or update to the latest ios version and wait for the new JB to released.
    No in between currently.

4. soapytwist thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for confirming. It's what I feared was the case, but good to hear it from someone else!

5. soapytwist thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay - so I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to 8.3 (I need Outlook 365 for work annoyingly), but now I keep getting errors in recovery and in DFU mode. Is there a trick to getting the iPad overwrite a jailbroken os with a non-jailbroken one?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It doesn't restore?
    Make sure your hosts file points to Apple.
    And restore it, not update.
    Try dfu mode on another computer if it still doesn't.