Help upgrading 2g to 3gs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by achineseninjew, Jun 16, 2009.

1. achineseninjew macrumors newbie

Ok so heres my story... My dad had the original iphone. When the 3g came out he wanted it so he got it and then added me to his AT&T plan and I began using his original iphone. Now that the 3gs is out I would like to upgrade to it but according to my account I am only eligible for an early upgrade and would have to pay 400 dollars instead of the 200 dollars for a new customer, even though i have the original iphone. Any thoughts on what i should do about this? Would talking to AT&T and telling them my dilemma help? Im pretty sure since i have the original iphone i should be able to upgrade at the 200 dollar price.

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Always talk to AT&T, and explain what YOU want to happen.....:cool:

3. achineseninjew thread starter macrumors newbie

so... tell them my sob story and hope it works? :p

4. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

Unless you've bought a subsidized phone from AT&T in the 2 years... then you should get the cheaper price. Call and explain.

5. achineseninjew thread starter macrumors newbie

well i think what happened was that since my 2 year contract was started after the actual purchase of the original iphone they are counting my upgrade from my two year contract instead of from when the actual phone was purchased

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Also note that you didn't receive the subsidized price on the original iPhone, b/c "there wasn't one"....:eek::eek::eek:

7. achineseninjew thread starter macrumors newbie

right so since there wasnt a subsidized price i should be able to upgrade for the 200 dollar price. correct?

8. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

You need to talk to AT&T. Maybe your Dad needs to because he is the main account. Could be that the new phone is on your account and not your Dad's. When you add an account you should get a discounted phone but you did not get one. You just took your Dad's old phone and he got a new one. Maybe a mix up there.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Most definitely; I purchased my first iPhone at full pop and when I wanted the 3G AT&T upgraded me without blinking; despite my AT&T account saying I wasn't due for an update and I had never received a new 2-year contract....:cool::cool::cool:

10. dave006 Contributor

dave006

It depends on your individual line. Is it possible that you received a "Free" phone when you were added to your dad's account? There is no such thing as a "Free" phone. If the phone was offered as "Free" then there was a subsidy and you have not reached your "Upgrade" Eligible date.

If you did not ever have a phone on this line other than the iPhone that your dad handed off to you when he upgraded to the iPhone 3G. You should be able to call Customer Care and have your "Handset" upgrade updated to correctly indicate that you are "Upgrade Eligible" for the lowest pricing.

Only AT&T can fix this if it is broken or in error.

Dave

11. apple2E macrumors regular

Didn't your dad buy the 2g at an unsubsidized price? Then he upgraded to 3g with the subsidized price because from 2g to 3g you can. If you can get the subsidized price twice out of one 2g phone hi 5!

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sounds like the OP just took his SIM card and placed it in his dad's iPhone.....

13. achineseninjew thread starter macrumors newbie

no. i was never on AT&T before i got the iphone