Help upgrading a Lombard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bdseager, Feb 13, 2008.

1. bdseager macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just bought a PowerBook G3 "Lombard" on Ebay, just for me to mess around on and do the odd bit of work on the train, but I would like to upgrade it. Eventually I want Mac OS X 10.3.5 running with a few handy IDEs and office apps.

I have a fair amount of experience with upgrading desktop PCs, but have never touched an Apple laptop so I have a couple of questions.

1. I want to upgrade the RAM to the max, about 300 or so MBs I think. I know that I need a PC100 SDRAM SODIMM module to do this - but does the manufacturer matter? I can find plenty on Ebay, but apple specific ones are very pricey.

2. I want a bigger hard drive, what can I use?

Thanks very much for any help/advice - its all greatly recieved.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Any PC-100/133 SODIMM will work.

Nearly any 2.5" PATA HD under 137GB will work.

TEG

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

4. bdseager thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers for the help guys,
    Ben

Just thought of another question!

I've seen plenty of versions of Mac OS X 10.3 for sale, but some of them say they came from G4 powerbooks or other types of Mac.

Will any version of 10.3 run on a G3 Lombard, as long as it meets the min. requirements, or would I need to get a specific version?

Sorry if this question is a little stupid!

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you would have to buy the retail version of Panther which is a single DVD (or several CDs) with a Mac OS X graphic on the label.

the install discs that come with another Mac are either a couple of DVDs or many CDs which are grey and are specific to that machine.