Help upgrading jailbroken Iphone 3g to 4.2

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kshacks, Dec 28, 2010.

1. kshacks macrumors newbie

Guys

I have been having a jailbroken and unlocked iphone 3G on OS 3.0. I want to upgrade to the latest version of OS 4.2 and retain my apps installed through installous and cydia.

can anyone point me to step by step instructions . I have been reading that folks are suggesting not to upgrade to 4.2 and jailbreak as it does not work..is that true.

I was planning to do the below so please correct me.
    1. set up sync with options in installous.
    2. cydia - i have not downloaded many apps through it so i can install those again manually if needed.
    3. plug in phone to itunes.
    4. itunes will detect a new OS 4.2 i guess..now what should i do here...should i proceed to update my OS to 4.2 from here or cancel out of it and do a fullback from itunes ? which option do i use to do the fullback up ?

5. what to do from here ? ..please help !!

Also to be noted is that I don't have any SIM card with my iphone..I am not with any provider like ATT or Tmobile. I just use wifi to browse internet and use the different apps.

Thanks

Keith

2. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

I did it by changing the baseband to 06... (iPad baseband) and when someone accidentally did restore settings at my iPhone it got ruined completely because now iTunes will not recognize it as a valid iPhone, so be careful.

3. kshacks thread starter macrumors newbie

Do i need to change baseband at all ? Isn't there a simple solution as to just use itunes to uodate the O/S and then later jailbreak it ? Sorry for my ignorance but i am not a geek so have clue what is a baseband etc..

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

No you don't. You can use the new version of PwnageTool (if you have a Mac) and create a custom ipsw to keep the same baseband you're at now to unlock. Or you can download a custom one if you're not a Mac user.

5. kshacks thread starter macrumors newbie

Can u please outline the steps man. i mean.

1. i just plug iphone to itunes and do a full backup
    2. what would be step 2 onwards ? I am a windows user .

appreciate the help in advance man. Just a non geek trying to get my daughter's iphone upgraded to 4.2 .

6. kshacks thread starter macrumors newbie

Help guys !! what should i do next ? I completed step 1.