Help upgrading my mid-2012 macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by evolutionbeats, Sep 25, 2015.

1. evolutionbeats macrumors newbie

Hello everyone and thanks in advance for any help! I know this has been asked a lot before and trust me..I have been reading posts and forums for days! However, I keep finding conflicting information and cannot seem to find everything I need in one place.

First off, my specs:

OS X Yoesmite 10.10.5 - 15 inch, Mid 2012
    2.3GHz Intel Core i7
    16GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB

So what I want to do is upgrade my hard drive to a SSD, then replace my optical drive with another HDD.

Here are my main concerns:

1) TRIM - I get completely opposite opinions on TRIM during my research. Some say you need it, some say you don't. I've also read that in Yosemite 10.10.4 and on, you can activate TRIM (if need be) with a simple terminal command. Is TRIM something that I have to worry about at all? Or can I just move forward with my SSD upgrade?

2) What exactly will I need to copy my HDD now to my SSD? I keep reading about brackets, enclosures, Carbon Copy Cloner?? Can someone please help me figure out the tools I would need for this copy process?

3) I've also been reading that replacing the optical bay with a HDD can actually slow down the new SSD. Is this true? Is there anyway to know if this will happen before hand?

As far as the physical process of replacing the HDD's, I've found good videos and picture descriptions on this. I am only being held back by the 3 points made above. (Also, I am looking at a Samsung 850 EVO for my upgrade. If anyone wants to throw in any advice on that, or if I should get OWC or Crucial, it would be much appreciated!!)

Thank you so much for any help!!!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

1) You can now enable it natively in OS X, even for third party SSDs. I'd use it. A quick googling would give you the instructions as to how.

2) An external USB enclosure and disk utility is all you need if you simply want to make an exact copy. If you do not want to make an exact copy, then the process is a bit more involved. The hardware is the same, it's the software side that'll change. You DO need a bracket to fit your current hard drive in the optical bay though.

3) Whoever said that knows nothing about computers and should not be posting advice. That is simply not true.

3. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

One point of advice, I would install any spinning drive in the original HDD location. The original location includes the sudden motion sensor to stop the drive in the case of.. sudden motion of the system. This helps protect the drive from a head crash. The optical bay doesn't account for this protection.

4. evolutionbeats thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you snaky69 very much for the info! Very Helpful!

hallux - great piece of advice! I'll definitely take that route. Thank you for pointing that out.

I am going to purchase an SSD and a USB enclosure and give all of this a go!

5. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

For what it is worth, when I bought my first Samsung SSD a few years back It came with a cable to connect the SSD to USB. No enclosure required. I recently purchased another Samsung SSD and use the same cable and when I installed Yosemite it clones the entire drive. Swapped drives and that was all I had to do. I did not replace my optical drive.

6. evolutionbeats thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey everyone!

As I get closer to finishing this process...one more question came to mind:

Do I have to install the SSD where the original HDD was to make it the main drive (main drive as in the one with the OS on it and such)?

Or can I put the SSD where the optical bay is and still make it the main, bootable drive? (and leave the original HDD in it's place as extra storage)?

Thanks!

7. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

I performed a similar upgrade on my 2012 cMBP. At the time, I saw reports of suspect brackets, used to replace optical drive, being sold on eBay, so I ponied up the extra $ and got mine from OWC.

There are a fair number of screws, but I'd rate this an easier that upgrading a HD in my late 2008 iMac.

you have received the perfect advice already. Go with a cheap external drive case, and install to your SSD, in that. I put the HDD in the optical bay. As long as you are not lugging the machine around everywhere you go, you should be fine. Mine has lasted just fine, for 2+ years.

One other item I would suggest, is to link your Downloads, Documents, iTunes library, and other non-speed critical folder to the HDD, from your SSD. That is what I have done, and I saved a TON of space on my SSD. If you need more info on this, let me know. Here is a link explaining this process, if you need it - http://www.macworld.com/article/2148490/slim-down-your-ssd-with-symbolic-links.html

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

This maybe too late but the simplest thing is just to install the SSD into the optical bay with the adapter, leaving your existing HDD where it is. Reboot and run Carbon Copy Cloner, clone the HDD to the SSD, select the SSD as the startup disk and reboot.

Then tidy up as required, as your iTunes Media folder already exists on the HDD just point iTunes at the HDD version, then you can delete the SSD copy of the iTunes Media folder to save space for example.

9. evolutionbeats thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much! This is great information. The only reason I was afraid of putting the HDD in the optical bay was because apparently it's original spot has protective elements that help a spinning disk drive in that place (which I assume what you were referencing by saying "As long as you're not lugging it around everywhere)

10. evolutionbeats thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response! That does sound super easy and seemingly the approach I would want to take.

Is there any reason, though, that people put the SSD where the original HDD was (and put the HDD in the optical bay)?

Why wouldn't everyone just leave the HDD where it is and put the SSD in the optical bay?

11. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Because in some machines the optical bay doesn't run at the full speed the SSD is capable of (SATA3 or 6G), whereas the HDD bay does - so best speed on both is obtained by putting the SSD in the HDD bay. In mine though the optical bay and HDD bay both run at SATA3/6G so best for me to have the HDD in the HDD bay so it also gets SMS protection at no speed cost.

12. snaky69 macrumors 603

I was under the impression this was more of a 2011 model issue?

13. mikzn macrumors 6502

mikzn

Upgraded a MBP 15 inch mid 2012 2.3 GHz i7 with evo 850 - took less than an hour.

Already had a clone / back up on separate external - Just in Case.

Next, removed the internal HD and put it into a caddy, installed the new SSD and kept the CD drive "as is".

USB Booted from the orignal drive on the caddy and then installed El Cap on the new SSD and used migration to move data and apps from old HD / caddy to the new SSD with El Cap.

Now stlll have the exact original yosemite HD ( caddy) as a bootable external and new upgraded version on the SSD with El Cap.

I still have some software like office 2011 on DVD disk so thought it would be good to keep the CD/dvd drive.

14. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

It is but the myth has become pretty entrenched across various models and years outside the actual affected machines.

15. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

When I duel =drived my 13" I bought the Macbook Air Supadrive just in case, works fine after the config is tweaked to allow it to work on non-MBA's...but doesn't see much use :)

16. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Yes, that is what I meant. I have taken this machine with my on business travel, vacation, around town, etc... I am careful, and have not had any issues.

And the reason I wanted the HD in the optical bay, is because I envision myself replacing the HD with another ssd at some point. Or getting a HUGE Hdd for max storage. I wanted the ssd in the "main" drive space, because it will never move out of that spot again.