Help Upgrading my Ram!!!

mikelong622

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
435
1
St. Paul, Minnesota
I recently got a 15 inch MBP from my school. Every student in the visual communications program there gets one and is expected to run Photoshop, Illustrator, and the rest of the CS on it. The only problem is they only fit our laptops with 512 ram...barely enough to make it work up to its potential. How easy is it to buy additional ram and install it myself?
 

mikelong622

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
435
1
St. Paul, Minnesota
Thanks! That seems easy enough! Now another quick question. Can I install a second 512 mb chip to get a gig of ram, or do i have to take out my current 512 and replace with a full gig?
 

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
903
0
mikelong622 said:
Thanks! That seems easy enough! Now another quick question. Can I install a second 512 mb chip to get a gig of ram, or do i have to take out my current 512 and replace with a full gig?
You have 1x512 correct?

Then you can add another 512 stick. There are 2 slots availible.
 

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
1,651
0
><><><><
ChickenSwartz said:
You have 1x512 correct?

Then you can add another 512 stick. There are 2 slots availible.
^^^ What he said....

If you have the cash, I would go ahead and max it out.

I am a GD(viscom) major as well, and we are using the MBP, and its very easy to hit the ceiling on the ram going between PS and Illy.

The other day in the studio I had itunes, firefox, photoshop, illy, and ID open all at once. I was doing some live tracing and live painting in Illy and actually got a message that it couldnt perform the task because there wasnt enough RAM. I closed a few tunes and firefox and it did fine...and I have the full 2 gigs. Imagine if I just had one....

So if you have the duckets shell it out and max out your MBP, under real student working situations it would be very useful.
 

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
903
0
technicolor said:
If you have the cash, I would go ahead and max it out.
Or at least, for now, buy a 1GB stick and have 1.5GB and when you have the cash take out the 512 and put in another 1GB. If you go with 2x512 and are planning on adding more in the future, you will be essentially "losing" that 512 stick (of course you can sell it on ebay).
 

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
1,651
0
><><><><
ChickenSwartz said:
Or at least, for now, buy a 1GB stick and have 1.5GB and when you have the cash take out the 512 and put in another 1GB. If you go with 2x512 and are planning on adding more in the future, you will be essentially "losing" that 512 stick (of course you can sell it on ebay).
Good advice. :)