HELP**Upgreading my late 2011 MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VERTTU, Nov 25, 2015.

1. VERTTU, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015

VERTTU macrumors newbie

hello everyone,

well my MBP late 2011 13-inch getting slower lately every time that i start downloading things online.
    so i decided this is the time to upgrade my RAMs from 4gb to 16gb. and also wanted to upgrade my HDD to SSD. so i've already bought 16gb rams but the problem is the SSD. there are many suggestion and reviews about best quality and the most compatible for MacBook Pro late 2011 and now i'm totally confused so please can anyone help me out.

which SSD brand should i go with, i'm looking for 500gb or 512gb SSD.

if am going with Crucial which one should i go with

Crucial BX 100 ,BX 200 , MX100 or MX 200
    [​IMG]
    if there is a better SSD please share your view.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Samsung or Crucial, either are good. 850 EVOs are very cheap at the moment, I'd throw my money that way. A few bits to consider for your hardware upgrades:

1) RAM. Make sure it's 2x8GB DDR3 1333MHz SODIMM if you want 16GB. Don't go higher or lower than 1333MHz.
    2) SSD. Don't enable TRIM. Risks doing more harm than good. Modern SSDs have their own garbage collection anyway. Does absolutely no harm leaving it disabled, and yet there are many proven cases where it has harmed if it's been enabled with TRIM Enabler or whatever. Just leave it disabled.
    3) Run a PRAM reset once you've installed the hardware.

Either way, any SSD brand is OK. In my experience, Samsung and Crucial are equally as good, as reliable, and as cheap. No issues with either brand.

Unrelated, but if you're looking for an SSD on a Windows computer, don't fit Samsung if it's got an AMD processor as they just don't like each other. Go Crucial.

3. VERTTU thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks man you have been helpful i appreciate it.

just to make sure this is what i bought for my mac

CLICK HERE

this is a Corsair Apple Certified 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1333 MHz (PC3 10666) Laptop Memory (CMSA16GX3M2A1333C9)

4. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

Any of the Crucial ones should work well. I have a 1TB Crucial in a mid 2011 15" MBP and it is fine, but do remember to use TRIM enabler or similar or you will get a slow down after a while!

5. VERTTU thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks man you have been helpful i appreciate it.

just to make sure this is what i bought for my mac

CLICK HERE

this is a Corsair Apple Certified 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1333 MHz (PC3 10666) Laptop Memory (CMSA16GX3M2A1333C9)

6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

That's absolutely perfect man. Good job :)

7. VERTTU thread starter macrumors newbie

yes you just told me do not enable TRIM. alright that should be it. thanks man.

8. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

I had a really slow full drive and TRIM helped me with a Crucial drive so I would!

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Always enable trim. I've never had a problem with it enabled(on versions of OSX that allow it).

I'm only a sample of 1, but I've been running a Samsung SSD in my desktop PC for 2 years with no issues. What kinds of problems are you referring to?

10. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

And have you had an issue with it disabled?

That's the thing, this seems to divide MR members. There's no evidence to suggest it makes a positive difference on 3rd party SSDs — and I mean evidence in terms of before/after benchmarks and stuff, rather than conjecture about what TRIM does (which is useful, granted), and therefore it should be enabled. All modern SSDs have their own garbage sorting anyway, TRIM enabled in the OS or not.

Conversely, there's been plenty of evidence to show that it has done damage in certain cases. So I say why risk it.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have not seen any cases where it did damage or caused data loss. In the early Yosemite days when you had to mess with those NVRAM boot arguments to get it to work, I did see quite a few posts from people who borked their system by not understanding what they were doing (or not doing) with those commands. But I can't think of a single documented case I have seen here where having TRIM on caused data loss.

Now with the "sudo trimforce enable" command to turn it on, messing up the boot arguments is no longer an issue.

I too was leery of this in earlier OS versions, but I just have not seen reports of data loss like I was earlier concerned about.

I don't think TRIM does much in the way of better speeds just by enabling it, but I know for a fact it does maintain those speeds. I have seen literally dozens of threads where people ran without TRIM and their write speeds slowed, then by enabled TRIM and running "fsck -fy" in Terminal from recovery TRIM'd all unused space on the drive and the write speeds were restored.

This seems to impact some more than others, perhaps related to computer usage patterns and the amount of writes they do.

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Yeah, loss of write speed over time.