Help! Upgrsded HD not working

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Wheat1328, May 16, 2012.

1. Wheat1328 macrumors newbie

I have a macbook from 2006. Tiger OS. I wanted to upgrade to Snow Leopard as it only has a Core Duo processor. I upgraded the memory to 2GB and got a new 500GB HD. Also got the Snow Leopard OS disk. I boot up and all I get is the blinking folder. Ive tried holding C and Alt but nothing works. The disk always gets shot out. I'm stuck. Please help!

2. simsaladimbamba

Do you still have your old HDD and is the OS on there working? Do you have an enclosure for 2.5" S-ATA HDDs, which you can put the old HDD into and connect to the Mac via USB or Firewire and boot from (OPTION key)?
    MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

3. Wheat1328, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012

Wheat1328 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. So I just put my old HD back in to make sure the new memory is working. I decided to try and install Snow Leopard on the old HD and it shot right back out at me after about 10-15 seconds. I guess my CD/DVD drive is shot.

So now my question is can I install Snow Leopard to my new blank HD from an external source, like my external HD or a USB? If so, how? And can I use a Windows computer to get the files onto the external source?

Sorry if this seems trivial. I'm no Mac computer expert.

The new HDD I got is: Western Digital 500 GB Scorpio Blue SATA 3 Gb/s 5400 RPM 8 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Notebook Hard Drive - WD5000BPVT

Thanks

EDIT: Another question: Do I need the Leopard disk in the drive in order to get past the blinking folder? Shouldn't I be able to get to the disk utility no matter what? Maybe not. I'm really confused - I hope all it is is a broken CD/DVD drive...