Help! Urgent! Macbook blank screen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by exsanguinate, May 28, 2010.

1. exsanguinate macrumors member

Hi

I need help with my girlfriend's black MacBook. She's at a critical stage of a degree, so I need to help her fast.

Problem is:

On startup, the screen does show the normal background, but immediately shuts off.

Upon putting it to sleep, and waking it up. It does appear the laptop is working normally, as I see a desktop for a very brief second or 2.

Why is the screen shutting off, as it appears to work, but only briefly (and repeatedly?)

Help!

Thanks

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Does the little white sleep light come on after the display goes black? You may want to look at System Prefs->Energy Saver->Display Sleep.

3. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Press Control and scroll up to zoom in. Do this to a great degree. Then, go to the top of the screen and go as far to either side as you can. If it's the issue I think it is, the rest will be obvious.

If nothing out of the ordinary happens when doing this... I 'unno.

4. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

Do you have an external monitor to test it with?

5. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

This maybe a bad inverter, or simply a loose cable. To fix either of them is a time consuming task.

Getting to the inverter is easier than securing the LVDS cable. You need to pry off the bezel around the LCD, remove the 3 screws on the hinge cover and it's stuck in there. I can't remember if the wires going to the LCD are soldered on, or if they are secured with a connector.

If the screen turns gray after a turning on, then you've got a bad panel. Sometimes it's just a cold solder on the LCD controller stuck to the back of the panel.

6. vistadude macrumors 65816

I think the brightness is set to the lowest setting by accident. On macs, this turns the display off. Just press the brightness up on the keyboard.

7. exsanguinate thread starter macrumors member

I can't test it with an external monitor as I only have a mini display port cable for my Macbook Pro.

Brightness is definitely up.

The light doesn't come on when the display shuts off.

I can't do anything software related because the screen is only on for a very brief second.

Sounds like it might be hardware I think, which is not good, even if is under warranty. Any other ideas?

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You can reset the PRAM and SMU (see link in my sig) but it looks like Apple needs to look at it.