HELP!!! Urgent!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mathsapplefreak, Feb 7, 2009.

1. mathsapplefreak macrumors newbie

I have just spilled water onto my new macbook pro aluminum unibodies grill speakers?

Does the grills prevent the water from going through??? What the hell do i do???

Urgent help! All help will be extremely appreciated!!!

2. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Turn machine off.

Turn the machine upside down to let any remaining water run back out where it came from, keeping the lid open

Place on a towel to catch any water and put in a warm, dry area (airing cupboard) and leave for 24 hours.

Turn back right side up, and leave for another 24 hours, keeping lid open.

Should be okay to use after that.

Your okay with water, its sweetened drinks that cause problems.

3. bartelby macrumors Core

I'd double those times.

4. milk242 macrumors 6502a

5. mathsapplefreak thread starter macrumors newbie

Is this even if the speekers are working right now?

6. bartelby macrumors Core

:eek:

Are you still using it?

TURN IT OFF!!!!

7. mathsapplefreak thread starter macrumors newbie

I turned it off and flipped it over and no water came out. I put on some music and they are working.

I dont think that any water got into the grill speaker. The water came from a cup an it was spilled on the right side of the computer, but only on the speakers. I got it off immediately, but when it was on, it didnt look like any of it was going into the speaker. If you imagine a bucket with small holes in it, you would expect to see the water go down slowly, but the water looked the same???

????

8. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

The potential issue is water may short circuit something on the logic board or other circuits - water being an excellent conductor of electricity.

I would seriously consider turning it off and not using it for 2 days to allow for evaporation.

The new Macbooks have moisture sensitive pads that shows if there has been any water spillage. If enough water has got into the system that causes a short while you are using it and the pads have been activated, your warranty will be void.

9. mathsapplefreak thread starter macrumors newbie

well do you think that there is much water that went in (from my description)??

10. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

One drop is enough for a short.

It's your money dude.

11. mathsapplefreak thread starter macrumors newbie

How do i turn it over and leave it? Do i stand it up? I dont know???

12. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

The water may be in an area of which is not contacting anything to cause a short, however using the laptop and moving it about, increases the chance of this water, moving to your logic board for instance. This would cause a short, and totally destroy the MacBook. Honestly dude it's simple and already been said.

Turn the damn thing off, leave it alone, and come back in a few days it is not a complicated thing to understand?

13. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Yep - don't even feel tempted to turn it on to test to see if its working. Leave it for a few days.

Oh, and a descriptive title will help, or searching the forums.

14. mathsapplefreak thread starter macrumors newbie

Can i put it upside down completely touching a towel and then turn it over in say 30 hours for another 30 hours?

15. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Right:

Turn the laptop upside down so it's in a V shape, or if possible, have the screen over the edge of a table, so the laptop is perfectly flat, leave it in an airing cupboard for ATLEAST a week, get some silica gel tablets (they come with most electronics, little white tablet things), and put as many of those as you can around it, underneath it etc. One I've heard is using a hairdryer on the keyboard whilst it's upside down, although it's a bit tricky, and I haven't heard anyone else having any success...