Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nazedayo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2012
Hello,

I own an early-2011 Macbook Pro, 15". It is running the latest version of Mavericks.

Something's strange with the USB ports– I use a USB hub to connect to my mouse, keyboard, and 2 external HDs. It is a powered USB hub.

For some reason, my mouse and keyboard work through the hub, but the external HD's don't show up. I thought it was a problem with the disks, but disk utility doesn't detect the 2 drives– even though the keyboard and mouse are recognized in the hardware diagnosis. The hard drives were working fine until a couple weeks ago.

So I unplugged the external hard drives from the hub, and directly connected it to my USB ports on my MBP, but to no avail– disk utility doesn't pick it up.

So I tried connecting them to my 2012 Macbook Air (running Mountain Lion)– no problem. THey both show up fine.

Could it be a problem with Mavericks? Or has my USB ports been "corrupted" somehow? Help!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
[[ So I tried connecting them to my 2012 Macbook Air (running Mountain Lion)– no problem. THey both show up fine.
Could it be a problem with Mavericks? ]]

IMPORTANT QUESTION:
What is the make, size, model numbers, of the drives you are trying to connect?

Mavericks seems to have some problems with certain drives (Western Digital, I think?).
May have something to do with the bundled software that comes pre-loaded on the drives.

nazedayo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2012
[[ So I tried connecting them to my 2012 Macbook Air (running Mountain Lion)– no problem. THey both show up fine.
Could it be a problem with Mavericks? ]]

IMPORTANT QUESTION:
What is the make, size, model numbers, of the drives you are trying to connect?

Mavericks seems to have some problems with certain drives (Western Digital, I think?).
May have something to do with the bundled software that comes pre-loaded on the drives.

Fishrrman,

One is a WD 500GB My Book Hard Drive (formatted it long time ago so the on-board software has been long gone since then). The other is the 1TB Neil Poulton Lacie Drive.

I've confirmed that it DOES work on my Macbook Air 2012 running Mountain Lion, but nothing happens in the Macbook Pro early-2011 that's running Mavericks. It shows up on Disk Diag for the MBA, but not on the MBP.

The two disks are both powered, and they're connected to a 4-port USB hub (also powered), and the other 2 USB ports are used by a keyboard and mouse which DO WORK. I've tried connecting the two drives both directly and still does not work.

I tried an SMC reset, and it worked– but after I put the computer to sleep, it didn't work. I tried restarting the computer, but again no dice. I don't want to have to do an SMC reset every time I turn on the computer. =(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.