Help using both bootcamp and VM software

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EricaV, Oct 25, 2008.

1. EricaV macrumors regular

EricaV

Well- the parallels trial version has totally jacked windows in my bootcamp partition so I'm repartitioning and starting over with great frustration.

I'm going to try fusion trial next- any reason I shouldn't ?

Question: Are users commonly able to use windows via both bootcamp and VM software ?- I mean retain the choice not run them at the same time !

If so, Is fusion vs parallels better suited to do this ? All I really want is to be able to boot windows natively in bootcamp AND use VM software so I can share files between the two, nothing more complex. I really just need outlook to work very well in the VM so I can drag files from the mac and synch my windows based smartphone with outlook. I want to be able to use bootcamp if the VM is not working with peripherals, synching etc. acting quirky in general.

I'm not willing to lose bootcamp functioning for the VM though which is what is happening.

I've heard that fusion's support system is close to non-existent while parallels seems to charge $30 bucks a pop. Any experiences other than this ? With all the installation quirks I've experienced and the apple folks being inconsistent in their helpfulness this is weighing more heavily in my decisions

ALL COMMENTS/EXPERIENCES HELPFUL

Thanks
    E

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I've used VMware Fusion and it has worked well with my Boot Camp partition. The only problem I ran into was that Fusion somehow removed the activation in my Boot Camp installation and I had to call Microsoft to reactivate my copy of XP. Best tip I can give you is to properly shutdown Fusion when you have booted into Boot Camp. Never force quit it when it's in the partition.

But really, Fusion has replaced my Boot Camp partition. About a month ago, I reinstalled OS X and removed the partition. I just use XP in Fusion and I'm able to sync both my personal and work BlackBerry phones to Outlook with ease.

3. EricaV thread starter macrumors regular

EricaV

Very helpful, I'm really leaning toward fusion at this point. The need to reactivate seems very common from what I've read, that happened for me with the try I gave parallels too. If that's the only issue with installation I'll be more than satisfied.

Good to know that fusion is so effective you have no need for bootcamp. It will be my security blanket for a little while but I hope to let go at some point :)

thanks again
    e

4. EricaV thread starter macrumors regular

EricaV

FYI- very happy camper with fusion

Just following up. My Fusion trial seems to be working great. I'm able to install programs thought fusion. Just synched with outlook without a hitch. Installation was much more of a snap than parallels and thank god my bootcamp partition and boot capability via bootcamp is intact.

I can only hope it goes so well that I rarely need straight bootcamp from now on

For anyone wondering- I'm sold on fusion. The interface is much easier to work with than parallels, plus it looks more like a mac :)

much thanks
    EV