Help Using dd_rescue with Darwin

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 2A Batterie, May 10, 2008.

1. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I have no clue regarding all things in Terminal, Darwin, Linux, Unix, Ubuntu, etc. and am trying to figure out how to run a dd_rescue in the Terminal to save an external hard drive that is my only clone of some very important info.

Has anyone here used dd_rescue on OSX? If so, how the heck do I set it up in the Terminal? I've already ran dd if= on the drive, and it stalls out halfway through. Grr.. this is taking up my whole weekend!

2. WilWheaton macrumors member

if dd if=/dev/whatever of=~/File stalled half way through, then it sounds like the disk is physically damaged. But I guess that's the reason you're using dd_rescue, it knows to skip parts it can't read

to run dd_rescue if you downloaded it, you'll need to open terminal, go to the directory where you extracted it (easiest way is to type cd and then drag the folder you want in, automatically completing the path, and pressing enter) and then

./dd_rescue if=/dev/you_hard_drive of=backup_location

3. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

So I downloaded and unzipped the dd_rescue application from http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/. I opened my terminal, typed cd and then dragged the folder marked dd_rescue[/b] into the terminal and hit enter. I received the response no such file or directory.
    So I tried again and put a space after cd and then hit enter, to which I received this response:
    2A-Batteries-macbook:dd_rescue 2A Batterie$

So is this correct so far?

After that I entered ./dd_rescue if=/dev/disk1s3 of=Tim's\ TC (I'm copying this disk to my Time capsule via ethernet. I have not started using the TC as a backup because I am waiting to rescue this current project) and hit hit return. The Terminal just responded by giving me a >. Nothing else is going on or spinning or backing up. What did I do wrong?

FYI, I have my external HD (the one with the bootable partition from my Old G5 that I am trying to save) connected via USB to my TC and my TC connected via ethernet to my MB. When I connect the external HD to my MB it rarely reads.

4. WilWheaton macrumors member

the ' in 'tim's' is throwing it off (it's expecting you to end the 'quote' before it can continue

try this
    Code:
    ./dd_rescue if=/dev/disk1s3 of="Tim's\ TC" 
    however, that won't tell it to write to that directory, just a file called Tim's TC. you'll have to find out where its 'mounted' as far as the unix part of os, possibly under volumes? I haven't got my mac to test how OSX stores its samba mounted volumes in respect to the overall filesystem, it might be /Volumes/Tim's\ TC/ , but i'm not certain. In which case you'd want to use

Code:
    ./dd_rescue if=/dev/disk1s3 of="/Volumes/Tim's\ TC/disk1s3" 

5. WilWheaton macrumors member

Wait, hang on, are you trying to use DD_rescue to read off of a wireless drive connected to the time capsule? That's probably not going to work with DD_rescue that well as it tries to do an exact binary copy of whats on the disk, something that will be lost if its shared over the network. Furthermore, the /dev/disk1s3 you're putting there is trying to copy from a local disk, not one over the network.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I think you forgot a \. This should be:
    Code:
    ./dd_rescue if=/dev/disk1s3 of="Tim\'s\ TC" 
    EDIT: Forgot to fix the second one.
    Code:
    ./dd_rescue if=/dev/disk1s3 of="/Volumes/Tim\'s\ TC/disk1s3" 

7. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Yea I realize that this isn't optimal. My external HD won't read directly off of my new MB for some reason, but will read off of TC. I turned the wireless off of the TC and just connected straight to the MB via ethernet. My external HD is connected via USB to the TC. Can this work?

8. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I reset the TC and changed the name to capsule for simplicity's sake. I connect the external to my laptop via FW400 and then had to unmount through terminal since DU wouldn't do it. This did the trick in Terminal:
    Code:
    sudo umount -f /dev/disk1s3
    Trying to keep this as simple as possible I just decided to take the info from the external partition and dump it onto my MB. Here's the command I entered:
    Code:
    dd_rescue if=/dev/disk1s3 of=Macintosh\ HD
    Here's the response I received:
    Code:
    dd_rescue: (fatal): open "if=/dev/disk1s3" failed: No such file or directory

Any idea why?