Help using G4 ibook as external drive for imac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Malmac53, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Malmac53 macrumors newbie

I have an imac which is a couple years old that needs an external drive, I have heard that a G4 ibook can be used as an external drive. Is there any tech help out there that could get me going once I take G4 ibook back to factory settings please? Sorry if I've posted in the wrong department, and thanks ahead of time :)

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Turn the iBook on and upon hearing the starting chime hold down the T key. That'll put it in Target Disk mode and allow you to access it on the iMac like an external hard drive.

3. DoghouseMike macrumors regular

Pretty much hook them together with a firewire cable (you may need an 800/400 adapter, I think ibooks only had the older 400 version, where most of the newer stuff only has 800), turn the ibook on while holding down "T", et voilà! You don't even need an OS installed on the book, so you could just hook them up and use disk utility on the iMac to format the ibook drive.
    Seems like a bit of a waste of an ibook if it's gonna be long term though. Even if you aren't using it you could probably sell it and buy a bigger external drive for the iMac?