Help using mac the ripper?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by adibear, Jan 20, 2011.

1. adibear macrumors newbie

I attempted to burn a video I made form one DVD to another. I used mac the ripper, and it created a file on my computer. However, instead of playing the video the file created by MTR has "audio" and "video" files in it, and within those files are new files. None of these files will open. What's the best way to burn a DVD on a macbook? I feel like I may have done something wrong with MTR.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

What are you actually wanting to do?

If you want to take a DVD and just use it on your Mac... use Handbrake (with VLC)

If you want to take a DVD and make another DVD... use Mac DVDRipper Pro or RipIt

MacTheRipper is pretty outdated

3. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

It may be outdated, but it's free and in more than a handful of cases it's been only thing that's worked on certain DVDs when everything else has failed.

To the OP, MacTheRipper is mainly just a ripper. The other programs such as HandBrake are Rippers+Encoders. If you use MacTheRipper, you then have to point HandBrake at the VIDEO_TS folder it made to encode the movie into something you can easily play on your iPod, AppleTV or TiVO.

4. simsaladimbamba

That is really strange, someone else posted something very, very similar, down to the wording of "files" instead of folders.
    I also replied to that thread extensively (in MR scales of course) and now I can't find it under my subscriptions or my post search results.
    That is really strange.

MacDawg, do you know of any recently (12 hours) deleted threads with a post of mine in it?

EDIT: Found it - it seems to have been deleted due to copyright infringement - though I haven't gotten a warning for helping someone copying his mom's workout DVDs.
    How do I burn DVDs on my macbook .. mactheripper help? - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11762382#post11762382

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have no issues with MTR

But MDRP and RipIt are well worth their price, easy to use and being continually updated
    And I have not found anything MDRP hasn't handled

6. adibear thread starter macrumors newbie

I only need to be able to view it on my computer. In that case, would I still need to follow it up with HandBrake?

I want to be able to view the video I made even when the DVD is not in my computer.

7. adibear thread starter macrumors newbie

I am a girl =) Anyway, yeah my bad on that thread. This time though, I really DO have a non-copyrighted DVD I want to burn, and the fact of the matter is I have no clue how because this also gives me a VIDEO_TS folder (file? folder? Ahh my major is neuroscience...not computer science). Thanks for any help!

8. simsaladimbamba

Read the links I provide again:

And if you didn't catch it in your last thread, which got deleted:
    Handbrake to transcode the ripped DVDs - many threads about this found here >>> MRoogle
    VLC Player and DVD Player to play the ripped DVDs on your Mac via dragging the VIDEO_TS folder* to the appropriate Dock icon of VLC Player or DVD Player.

File icons are the second and third row, folder icons are the first row:
    [​IMG]

File vs Folder: http://www.englishforums.com/English/FileVsFolder/bpbkk/post.htm

9. adibear thread starter macrumors newbie

Just saw your blue links, I am working in it now. Sorry! My 20 year old mind just isn't what it used to be back when I was 18...Anyway, hopefully this works, thank you for your help!