Help using my phone while abroad

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ztimothy, Jun 15, 2012.

1. ztimothy macrumors newbie

Hello hello,
    I really need help with my iPhone i hope i can find it here.
    I have an iPhone 4S from at&t which is great, the version is 5.1.1 and firmware is 2.0.12
    I actually wouldn't want to jailbreak or unlock anything at all if i was in the US, but i am interning in London for 2 months and i could really use my phone with their monthly pay as you go plans. I like my iphone set to its factory setting, no custom theme or any unecessary games on it.
    Anyway, i really am trying to put another sim car on my phone, i saw online a few things such as teh Gevey Ultra S sim card. Would anyone recommend it?
    What else is there to do? I read at other places that I must jailbreak my phone before I can unlock the sim card settings... is that true?

If anyone can help me with the fastest / most reliable method of using another sim card, please help. I am really trying not to damage my phone in any way possible

Thanks for all the help :)

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

AT&T will unlock your iPhone (I believe) since you're going out of the country.

3. chestvrg macrumors 65816

Call AT&T to see if they can make an exception if you are still under contract to unlock your iPhone so when you travel overseas you'll be able to use it with a local carrier SIM.

4. ztimothy thread starter macrumors newbie

I have and all i was told was that they needed to terminate my contract... which i will not do since i am returning in a month

5. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Not without paying the ETF. I tried several times, and even went back and forth with a guy from the board of directors.

6. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

I know if you want to use the iPhone domestically they won't. They won't unlock even if the OP is going out of country? My parents got Sprint to unlock their 4S's for international use.

7. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Nope, not for international use either. My wife is from Japan and she and I travel there at least once a year. My wife just went a couple of months ago, and they wouldn't even unlock her iPhone 4 for use in Japan, (which I believe is off contract this month or next).