Help Using Networked Dell Printer over IP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mmentz, Nov 4, 2008.

1. mmentz macrumors newbie

I am having difficulty connecting to/using my school's network dell printer (a Dell m5200n). I have the printer's IP address which I have input into add printer "Address," but do not know where to go from there. I am using Line Printer Daemon protocol and do not have the drivers for the printer. Is there some simple fix for this?

2. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Does the printer show up at all in the selection window? From the add printer window when you press the Plus sign to add one.. any show up at all under Default? Or do you have to go to the IP tap... and if so when you key in the IP address does it show up at all.??

3. mmentz thread starter macrumors newbie

The printer does not show up initially. When I input the IP address for the printer under the IP tab, I get a response and the window auto-sets to Generic Postscript--- from there, when I try to print I get a message that my computer was unable to connect in the printer task try.... I am pretty sure that the network requires authentication, but I have yet to see the field where I can put in my information..... Any ideas on how to fix this?

4. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Sorry to report that I do not. All I can suggest, until someone else comes along, is to try the search feature here on the forum.

5. asmith89 macrumors newbie

I am having a similar problem. I'm brand new to Mac, just got my first one about two weeks ago.

I have a MacBook operating Snow Leopard (OSX v10.6.6). I saw on another forum that the Lexmark T630 driver works for this printer, so I selected that. I have the IP for the printer correct, but whenever I try to print the job goes to my queue and shortly after it says "Connected to Printer", it switches to "Printer Paused".

No matter how many times I resume it keeps pausing itself.

Anyone found out how to solve this problem?

6. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I am successfully using a Dell 3115cn with my MacBook Pro. What I needed to do was to download the drivers from Dell.com. Then, using the add new printers feature I input the IP address and left LPD chosen as the protocol.

After that the system tried to automatically choose the driver but it selected one of the generic options. I manually choose the Dell driver I had previously downloaded. After that everything has been working swimmingly.