Help using Numbers to keep track of client payments

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by swindmill, Oct 27, 2010.

1. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

This is probably a fairly basic question, but I'm not well versed with spreadsheets. I'm trying to set up a Numbers document that will allow me to keep track of payments made to me by clients. I'd like to have the rows contain client names, and the columns contain payments (i.e. Payment 1|Payment 2|....). I plan to leave 10 columns open for payments. The 11th column would ideally be a 'total paid' column that equals the sum of columns 1-10 on each row. I will also need a column where I can enter the total amount they owe, which would be column 12. That column would not be part of any equation, as I will obviously have to enter that figure manually.

I have been playing around with a Numbers document for some time now, and I'm getting frustrated. Thanks for any help.

2. dmm219 macrumors 6502

as you can tell...not many people use Numbers...its buggy and incomplete and doesn't come close to excel...while it does have a nice polish on it.

What you are attempting should be simple. Just start typing in your data in the format you want. I'm assuming the help you need is with the equation and your "totals" column? This is pretty simple...once you have entered you data...use your mouse to highlight the row data you want to sum (so highlight all of client a's 10 cells of data). You will notice on the bottom left of the window..."sum, avg, min...etc"...all with numbers behind it...those numbers are the already calculated sums, avg's..etc of the data you have highlighted. Simply drag the "sum" oval over to where you what this number to show up on your spreadsheet (column 11, company row). It will automatically put the right equation in there for you.

3. swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

swindmill

That is very simple, thank you. I had never even noticed the ovals at the bottom.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Watch the video on this page.

http://www.apple.com/iwork/numbers/