Help using quicktime pro to make an .wmv

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by em5671, Dec 29, 2008.

1. em5671 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Im really hoping someone will be able to help me. I got a new camera and it makes vids as .mov I have no experience with this file type so I purchased quicktime pro for my mac. It did the conversion nicely but my .wmv is only 29 secs long and the vid should be 80 seconds long.

DOes anyone know why or what i'm doing wrong and how I can 'fix' it?

THanks in advance for anyone willing to spend time helping me.

E

2. -DH macrumors 65816

To make .wmv files, you need the flip4mac plugin. It sounds like you already have the demo version installed on your system. The demo version only allows for up to 30 seconds of export. To export a full length .wmv file, you need to purchase one of the flip4mac regular versions.

-DH

3. em5671 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help.

:( at further expense to get the vid to send to my MIL

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Strange, but there is obviously a logical explanation to why this is happening. Just curious about why you would want a .wmv file from a .mov file?:confused: If you don't understand this file type, let me explain. .mov (QuickTime Movie) is a file format developed by Apple. It is a very high resolution file type and once converted to .wmv (Windows Movie) is going to lose resolution. Working with a .mov file is best when working with video on a Mac all of the Mac video editing applications accept it and you will not lose the quality. There isn't anything (that I know of) that is better about a .wmv file than a .mov file.
    As for your problem, is the video just cutting off at 29 secs or playing at high speed until the end which happens to be at 80 secs?

5. em5671 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Thanks for your reply too!

I need a wmv to send to my 78 yr old MIL who lives OS who uses a window machine and doesn't have quicktime player installed. Last time I helped her install anything over the phone I had to laydown in a dark room for several hours (soo very stressful). The vid doesnt speed up it just cuts out so I think its the demo version of flip4mac screwing me with my pants on.

I can't help but feel bitter I need to shell out more $$

6. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Probably the demo version's fault. I know that AVS advertises that AVS Video Converter can convert .mov to .wmv but I haven't tried it. Here's the link to the free download, here.
    Now it makes sense why to convert it to .wmv!

7. -DH macrumors 65816

Just to set the record straight, a QuickTime Movie (.mov) can be very high or very low resolution and quality. The .mov file type is not a codec, it is a container; the video contained within could be made from any number of codecs, some of which can be high resolution and quality while others might not be.

The WMV format is the second most compatible file type, especially for web delivery (Flash is the MOST compatible), but also for anyone with a Windows system. .WMV files can be very high quality IF encoded properly. WMV files can be much better than .MOV files ... it all depends on the codec used and the resolution and quality settings used during the encoding.

-DH

8. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Obviously the type of video "determines" the res/quality. I should of said it can display a very high resolution. .wmv is the 2nd most compatible because 90% of the world is running Windows. Flash viewer come pre-installed on most computers and if it's not almost everyone installs it. Codecs are very important when uploading to the web and compressing. The question did not mention compressing or uploading to the web so I don't think we need to confuse anybody with codecs. I always do learn things when posting in a thread with you though -DH.:D This time that .wmv files can be higher res/quality than .mov