Help using TrueCrypt

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iceman600, May 11, 2011.

1. iceman600 macrumors member

iceman600

im having difficulties using truecrypt on my MBP
    everytime i do an encrypted container on my second partition where i store all my files, i cant mont it! :confused:

im always having this error! can someone pls explain to me what this is? and what am i doing wrong? :(

BTW, i do have macFuse on my system preferences

Attached Files:

2. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

3. iceman600 thread starter macrumors member

iceman600

it says there that truecrypt is not compatible with snow leopard 64bit... :(
    is there any alternative to truecrypt. i just want a folder that cannot be access by my family member. coz sometimes they use my MBP. and i dont like having may user acct on it.
    i just want a folder that can only be accessed by me... :(

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Use FileVault or create a separate password protected encrypted volume.

5. iceman600 thread starter macrumors member

iceman600

so you have a link on how to create a separate password protected encrypted volume...
    im sorry im a new mac user :D

6. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Sorry, I have never used it, just know it can be done. You can set up FileVault and that will encrypt your home folder and set a password protection on it. Another option would be to create a folder and change the permissions on it to only allow you to access it (right click on the folder and select get info option or highlight the folder and type cmd+i then set the permissions at the bottom of the info pane).

7. johnnj macrumors 6502a

It's not TrueCrypt with Snow Leopard. It's MacFuse with the 64 bit kernel enabled.

There's a beta version of MacFuse that fixes it:

http://www.mediafire.com/?qpt4bdp0yqak7x4

I've been using this version for a while and it works fine. Check out the TrueCrypt forum if you want to learn more or verify this information.

Another thing to keep in mind is if the encrypted containers are formatted as NTFS you'll also need to upgrade your NTFS driver (like the Paragon) to the current version for 64 bit support.