Help using TV as a display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by soulnotsoldier, Jan 21, 2010.

1. soulnotsoldier macrumors newbie

I have tried reading through the forums and can't seem to find an answer to my solution. Here is what I am working with.

White MacBook (Late 2007)
    Sylvania 22" LCD TV (1366X768 resolution)
    Mini-DVI to HDMI
    SwitchResX

So the problem is that the native resolution of the TV isn't a normal one. Called Apple. No help. Called Sylvania. Told me to call Apple.

I've tried using SwitchResX to set the resolution to 1366X768 and have tried variations found on other websites (1368, 1360) but every time I restart it reverts back to 1080i.

While 1080i works, the problem is that it is very hard on my eyes, and the text is hard to read, something I am assuming will hopefully be fixed when I get it to work at the native resolution.

I know this is a long post, but does anyone have any suggestions?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's a TV and not a computer display, thus not really build for fine text like an OS uses.

I'm befuddled though as why the TV "reverts" to 1080i (1920x1080 or 1440x1080 or ....) when you said it has a native resolution of 1366x768 (a really strange one btw).

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The problem is due to you using HDMI. The TV defaults the HDMI to 1080i, and sends that signal to the computer. If your TV has DVI or VGA inputs, I would try that instead, or see if there is a way to change the TV into 720p mode.

TEG

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Cheap TVs labelled as HD Ready often had (and have) odd resolutions and just scale everything as required. Often they won't actually accept a signal at native resolution which is what appears to be happening here.

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Do you have Leopard or Snow Leopard? If so, did you try using the 720p setting instead of SwitchResX?

Using 720p might end up giving you an "acceptable" display image.

ft