Help! Using uk o2 iPhone 3gs in hong kong

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by twonga, Aug 14, 2009.

1. twonga macrumors member

I will be going to hong kong soon, will I be able to buy a payg sim and put it in my o2 iPhone? ( I will buy a payg sim from which ever network the iPhone in hong kong is contracted to)

any help would be appreciated!

2. mrochester macrumors 65816

Of course, as long as you unlock your phone for use with that sim.

3. twonga thread starter macrumors member

Hi thanks for the reply, so does that mean my phone is locked to uk o2 only?
    I can't even go to USA and put a AT&T sim card in?

I knew the iPhones were locked but didn't realise they wasn't unlocked to the countries dedicated provider e.g uk = o2 and USA = AT&T

4. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I don't think they are locked to that level, but you'll need to connect to iTunes to "activate" iPhone for use with new SIM

5. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

Jailbrake wiht dev-team's redsn0w software, then in cydia install "ultrasn0w" and you can put in any sim card into your phone :)

6. mrochester macrumors 65816

That's correct. An iPhone locked to O2 UK can only be used with O2 UK sim cards - no other anywhere in the world. If you want to use an AT&T sim card, you either need to unlock your O2 UK iPhone, or buy an AT&T iPhone.

7. dazey macrumors 6502

As the other poster said, jailbreak and unlock. I have both 3g and 3gs unlocked this way. Its pretty simple and I have never had any issues.

8. twonga thread starter macrumors member