Help - Utilities Folder Has disappeared

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dougalbh, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Dougalbh macrumors newbie

I recently upgraded to 10.6.4 but stupidly did not create a back up immediately afterwards. Now, a couple of weeks on, after some music software crashed I appear to have lost all my system utilities files in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder. This includes my disk Ulity File. I cannot locate them via finder and although I have certainly not deleted them, they have gone. I can't repair my permissions etc. I tried restoring the Utility folder contents from the previous OX version via Time Machine, however ( as expected) I got a message declaring the Utilities file was not the correct version. I can't seem to find any way of downloading the current Disk Utility and wondered of anyone could help?
    Thanks
    Brian

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Reinstall Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. You will not lose your personal data and files and the Utilities folder will be restored.

Have you looked into the TRASH yet?

Btw, you can restore permissions via Disk utility running from the Restore/Installation DVD of Mac OS X.
    Guide on how to use Disk Utility from the restore / installation DVD.

You can also use Pacifist to extract applications from the Restore/Installation DVD.

3. Dougalbh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - I will try as you suggest and post the outcome.