Help! Vast difference in screen brightness between two similar MBPs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nautican, Nov 3, 2009.

1. nautican macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I own a 13' MBP (2.53gHz, 4GB ram). Another friend of mine owns a similar MBP, bought in the same week and at the same retail store in Singapore. The two computers are slightly less than 2 months old.

Yesterday, we put it side by side to compare notes and it was surprising how different the brightness was on the screens for the two computers even though the same brightness setting was selected (both in the slider in system preferences and by using F1/ F2). The attached picture shows this; my computer is on the right and my friend's computer is on the left.

I would like to know why this difference exist, and if so, is there a cause for concern (i.e. do I have to send mine in for servicing).

Many thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Do you have the ambient light sensor enabled? If so, try disabling it and testing again.

3. Mhmm macrumors member

MacBook Pros with the 9CC2 panel running Snow Leopard have a brighter screen due to a bug or missing something in the Snow Leopard software. If you have the 9CC2 panel wait for a software update or downgrade to Leopard.

To check your screen model under snow leopard:
    System Preferences> Displays> Color> Open Profile

Then scroll down until you find a line with "Apple Display make and model information" and click.

I'm copying this into a sticky note already since I post it so much, heh.