[HELP] Vertical streak of line on MBP screen!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gallium, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Gallium macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

this afternoon i turned on my mbp and realise this streak of line on my mbp screen.

anyone know what is happening? is it a streak of dead pixel? or is there something wrong with the graphic card?

mine is the 2010 13" core 2 duo macbook pro, bought it in around june 2010 without apple care. warranty has already ran out.. can anyone suggest what I should do?? =(

2. lamboman macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, it is very likely that the display has become defective :( Can you take it into a local, reputable repair shop to see if they can diagnose the problem?

EDIT: In before the "it could be your Windows wallpaper" comments :p

3. Gallium thread starter macrumors newbie

definitely not the wallpaper, i had it since long time ago but the line just appeared today.

just to prove:
    [​IMG]

anyway thanks for commenting. anyone knows the price range for such a repair at apple?

4. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

I think he meant that people are going to say sarcastically, that the problem is because you destroy a mac interface using a windows background. ;)

5. JohnStar, Apr 17, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012

JohnStar macrumors newbie

Looks like a problem with the screen. You might want to connect an external monitor and test. Also try different screen resolutions on your mbp.

6. lamboman macrumors 6502

Yeah, I was just being sarcastic as there could very well have been somebody who was going to come into this thread and post a useless comment just to be a pain. So I thought I'd say it as a deterrent ;)

I've had a quick read around and, in addition to logic, it is more than likely going to be a hardware issue with the display, as well as the fact the whole line is blue, suggesting that a component has died within the display or is badly malfunctioning.

As JohnStar said, try an external monitor just to see if it is a graphics card problem; however, this is extremely unlikely.

Honestly though, best bet is to take it to a reputable repair shop for them to take a look, in the odd event that it isn't a issue with the display directly.

7. Gallium thread starter macrumors newbie

alright, will bring it to a repair shop in a few more weeks after i finish my exam. thanks alot guys

8. MeliFelipe macrumors newbie

could be screen or the motherboard, my roommate had a 2010 and his started getting vertical lines, they replaced the screen on the second try, first one was faulty so they ordered a mobo to see if it was the problem. they ended up just putting the new screen on, and it still does it every once in a while, he just hasn't taken it back since it was such a hassle during the middle of the semester.

9. blatopilot, Apr 17, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012

blatopilot macrumors regular

Had this happen with a 2009 MBP. Needed a new LCD, logic board and inverter cable. Sadly it will only get worse so if you have a warranty or Applecare don't wait!

Edit: FYI I tested it with an external monitor and the monitor worked fine.