Help. Very cheap macbook retina. Scam or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xanderwolfe, Dec 1, 2012.

1. xanderwolfe macrumors newbie

Hi guys, i just wanna ask your opinions about my situation.

I am located @ singapore and I saw a very cheap macbook pro retina, the higher end config.

here is the ads.

the owner is letting go @ 3,000SGD (2,456 USD)

according to the website of apple singapore the price is 3,788 SGD (3,102 USD)

The owner said, it is sealed and unopened, he also said that it's an import from US and he is just selling it for some commission.

I am a bit hesitant because it is so cheap. So I asked him if he has the official receipt, he said he doesn't have it because he used his credit card to buy it.

Also, he said that if I am anxious about the authenticity of the product, I can unbox it myself and see for myself, he said I can also test it on the spot if I want to, and even apply the apple warranty.

What do you guys think?

Any tips?

2. bill-p macrumors 65816

Go for it. I don't think it can get any better than testing the thing right on the spot.

Since it's a good price (in your currency and region), I'd have jumped on the opportunity without asking here.

And don't worry about it being "stolen" or "cheated" out of Apple's system. I have not seen any situation where Apple actually blocks a device for being "stolen". I can verify this because one of my MacBooks was stolen the other year. I reported it to the authorities and Apple immediately. Then we found out who took it and we were able to retrieve it. Amazingly, by that time (10 months since purchase), the serial number still said under warranty.

3. tastytraci macrumors newbie

Re: Cheap Mac

I would take a friend with me sometimes a deal to good to be true normally are, I would also check to ensue that the macbook is working properly as well as call apple support to ensure it has not been stolen . I know in Michigan we had people reselling stollen apple products. Good luck.:)

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Seeing it's $2700 before tax in the US I'm not sure what kind of commission the seller could be making.

Also I'm in Singapore right now, and when I went through customs I'm pretty sure the duty free limit is only S$600.

5. boto macrumors 6502

boto

Seems authentic. Just make sure you check the serial, meet at a public area, and ensure that it is not a stolen product.

6. xanderwolfe thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your opinions.

anyway, just a few more questions.

If i checked the serial number, what should I look for to check if it is authentic?

Also, if i test the unit, boot it up, explore the GUI, etc etc, what should I look for?

Also, I have an iphone4s, I have an apple account because of that, is it the same account I am going to use to register the apple warranty?

Sorry to bother you guys with more questions, I just wanna be cautious since this would be my first laptop.

7. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

If something seems too good to be true then guess what....

Sometimes, your lucky and it is just a good deal. It works, the machine is fine, its not stolen and youve saved some cash. But its a huge sum of money to take a gamble on.

Often stolen goods are shipped overseas to avoid any problems. Phones for instance as it avoids many providers IMEI lock outs (yes, I know some share the database now but not all).

8. ramram55 macrumors 6502